Better Bridge Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Bridge Parts

anyone here tried replacing stock bridge parts with better parts? typcially, that would mean going with the bigger brass block upgrades that are out there. but it looks like there are other and simpler options as well. I have Floyds (or licensed version on all my guitars) but some of this translates to Strats as well.

for example:

brass trem claw - I am trying one in a Kramer NightSwan right now. definitely better material than the stock claw. not quite the same as replacing the block, but every little bit helps.

brass screws for a trem claw - something I thought of when I saw some places including brass screws for those brass trem stoppers. I find these at Home Depot for less than $2 / pair. I also replaced the stock screws with brass ones on that NightSwan. probably not worth breaking down your entire setup, but since I was already replacing the claw anyway....

stronger trem screws - I've been finding stainless steel screws. harder than those little black ones that come with a Floyd. I can screw things down a little harder and not have to worry about stripping the allen head. not much increase in the way of tone, other than a more solid contact. I have found these online for the saddle screws, locking nut screws, and the long string lock screws. a bolt and electrical supply around the corner actually carries the stainless steel screws to mount the bridge plate to the sustain block (listed as "M5- .8x12 flat socket cap ss") - once again, a stronger material for around $.35 each... where places online ask about $2.99 for a set of 3.

trem springs - this is something I'm not totally sold on and wonder if it's part snake oil. I see regular springs. I see boutique name-brand springs. I see noiseless springs. I see heavy duty springs. there are a zillion guitars out there with springs in that trem. just how many of them really need different springs?

big blocks - I've recently started to swear by upgrading to a bigger brass block. you can find them for Floyd type trems and for Strat type trems. I found this guy (hoockey) on ebay that consistenly sells them for about $10 less than the 'brand name' websites. there are also tungsten and titanium blocks, but that's not as cost effective for me (as a dude with more than 1 guitar). relatively easy to swap out. more sustain and more resonance. I can hear it acoustically, even before plugging it in. harmonics jump out louder and easier. if I could only pick one bridge part to replace, this would be it.

titanium - have some titanium string lock blocks that go in the saddle to lock the strings in. have deal with Floyds since '85 I've seen my share of cracked and expanded saddle lock blocks. that's all I seem to find with these. I put them in after I'd installed a brass block, so I can't tell a lot of difference. I do think the saddle will crack before the little blocks do. lol! what looks really cool is the set of titanium saddles, but geez they are as much or more than some quality guitars.

nut parts - there are brass nuts and stainless steel nuts out there for non-locking trems. mine are all locking, so I have no experience with this. I would be interested in seeing an option for a locking nut made out of more resonant material as well. brass? stainless steel? tungsten? other? even just the nut locking blocks would be great.

another advantage I've had while tweaking parts on bridges is it allows the opportunity to give each guitar a fresh set up.

so I guess I'm asking as much as sharing... who else tweaks their bridges and what do you do to tweak them? what do you do? where do you find your stuff?

Stay away from noiseless springs!! The heavy duty ones are great, they add a bit of sustain and actually helped my tuning stability a little.
    “On Ecstasy, Joan Rivers looks like Pamela Anderson, so imagine what Pamela Anderson looked like.”

Comment

Working...
    X