Q for Sully or another experienced member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q for Sully or another experienced member

Seems Ill be acquiring at least one guitar here soon with a painted neck. Ive had painted neck guitars before and find them hard to move around on with sweat covered hands.

Can I just satinize the clear on the back of the neck with wetdry or steel wool? I dont want to strip and oil seal, I just want less friction without totally getting too involved right off the bat.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

You can try this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxGz6IZ9BFI

Comment

0000 steel wool works well but it will smooth back out and you'll have to do it again every so often.
      I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Excellent vid Trem. Thanks.

Comment

Is it lacquer or poly? Are you sure you have a problem with poly painted necks like on Jacksons?

I never really have much of an issue with poly, but lacquer feels gooey to me. My Soloist feels great.

If you decide to take the gloss off the neck, use a piece of masking tape at each end to get a clean line where the "satiny" stops and I would suggest you use the gray Scotch Brite pad - and make sure you don't use a nasty one that has been snagged on things, or has pieces of dirt in it. Hell just use a brand new one, it's worth it.
          Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 09-28-2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

three coats of spermatazoon on all my guitars..they look fuggin' phenomenal!!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
              Is it lacquer or poly? Are you sure you have a problem with poly painted necks like on Jacksons?

I never really have much of an issue with poly, but lacquer feels gooey to me. My Soloist feels great.

If you decide to take the gloss off the neck, use a piece of masking tape at each end to get a clean line where the "satiny" stops and I would suggest you use the gray Scotch Brite pad - and make sure you don't use a nasty one that has been snagged on things, or has pieces of dirt in it. Hell just use a brand new one, it's worth it.
              When I had the last SL2H, I remember my hand sticking to it. The one thats for sure coming is a Kelly Professional in Sparkle Green. What ever that finish is made of will be what Im working with. Im just guessing Ill want to rough up the neck after my experience with the SL2H. My bolt on necks dont bother me as much. Especially the Axtra, the back of its neck is real smooth.

Comment

Working...
              X