Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody swapped out an R3 locking nut for an R4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody swapped out an R3 locking nut for an R4?

I generally like wider string spacing and have considered swapping out an R3 for an R4 on some of my guitars. Has anybody done that and what was your experience? How much different is the spacing? Do the outside strings get too close to the fretboard edge? Possible candidates are a 2007 RR1, a MIA Pro Mod, and a MIJ Pro Mod.

I tried it on my 87 Soloist custom (bound board) and the E's were just too close to the fret ends.

Comment

I usually change them out in the opposite direction. You can't really tell a difference as far as spacing goes, but the extra fret margin is very noticeable and appreciated.

Comment

I've only once bought an OFR, which was on ebay, and only comes with an R2 or R4. They wouldn't give the R3 option.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I find myself pulling the E strings off the fretboard with an R4. I've even been switching my R3's to R2 for this same reason.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I have a 275 Deluxe that someone put an R4 nut on. I felt the strings were too close to the fret ends especially near the nut.

Comment

Thanks, fellas. Reckon I'll nix that idea. Saved me $30 or so.

Comment

Working...
              X