stratty tone from mahagony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stratty tone from mahagony?

Anybody get a good clean stratty tone from a mahagony bodied guitar? Im thinking about building a guitar with a mahagony body because the brdge pup tone has all ways been killer and a hum in the neck is great too, but id really like a strat clean tone from the neck. Is this a possibilitie or would it be too dark? Thanks.
    H3LL IS HOME!!!

If it's just a mahogany body and a bolt-on maple neck it won't be that dark. So, yeah. I think the neck single in my mahogany-bodied Strat just sounds like a nice, very slightly warmer Strat tone.

Comment

I was thinking neck thru, but was also thinking of a maple neck, maple board. The sound I really like is that combo with a basswood body wich I like, but playing with my buddy who plays LPs it sounds thin. In the studio it sounds great, but live thin...
      H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Most anything sounds thin next to a Les Paul, unfortunately.

I have an H/S I built, Strat, with a Korina neck and Mahogany body. It has a Classic Stack in the neck. Now, it wouldn't fool anyone on an A/B comparison to a real Strat but it's quiet and the tone definitely has that chimey quality you would expect from a neck single.

So, let's just say that the pickup type is going to get you most of the way there for the "stratty" quality IMO.

Comment

Ya know the stratiest single coil tone that I have ever come across that is great has been from my Bill Lawrence L500 neck hum that is split and using the bottom coil. Weird. Sounds great clean and has a nice boominess that is not muddy.
          H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

not sure if a mahogany body will sound like a strat... i mean you can combine it with pickups but the wood itself is pretty dense and so carries deep warm mids. perhaps if you match it with a bolt-on maple/maple neck, which will make the natural tone of the whole guitar a bit brighter to balance the warm tone of mahogany. but if you make a neck thru mahogany body/neck i can guarantee that it won't sound like a strat.

Comment

IMO, yes. As long as the guitar is 25.5" scale length, and the pickups are single coil and in the same location as on a Strat. Bolt-on would be ideal, but I'd say neck-through could be convincing enough to suit me.

Wood just varies too much to make any broad generalizations. Some mahogany bodied guitars are quite bright. Some alder can be dark.

Comment

Lots to think about huh? My taste in single coil tone has allways been a bit darker. More acoustic like really. It will be fun to experiment anyway.
                H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Working...
                X