Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get rid of the 'white" that shows up on rosewood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get rid of the 'white" that shows up on rosewood?

I just scored a Model 6 in mint condition but the fret board has 'white" in some of the grooves of the wood . is there any 'cure" for this or do i just need to get out the Fret Doctor and let it suck up as much as sit needs?
    What causes this? I've only seen it on rosewood?
    I'll post pics in a NGD thread this weekend Idid great on this one
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Get a motorized firm bristle toothbrush, like a crest spinbrush or something. One of the cheap ones that runs on AA batteries. Hit the board with some cleaner and go at it with the toothbrush. It should start to loosen the crud that is stuck in the grain lines. It might take a while and a few applications and wipings with the cleaning solution which is why i recommend the motorized ones. It's a lot less stressful on the arms.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

There's white crap in the pores because someone used Pledge or some other furniture polish on it. Been there, done that. It will eventually come out...
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

cool thanks guys.

Comment

I get that crap on alot of guitars I pick up and also work on for buddy's . I agree with toejam , someone used something funky to "spruce"it up.Waxy, polishy crap my grandma over-used on her end tables and when you set your bottle of beer on it in July for a few minutes it left a white ring. I just had it on a Predator rosewood board. I use Zippo Premium lighter fluid and a stiff toothbrush.I think Hellbat's mention of the motorized version is a brilliant idea. I work it length-wise into the long grain that holds the white crud. Gone.Everytime. The Zippo evaporates quickly. Then oil the board. I usauly use Birchwood Casey gunstock oil.Coated it so it soaked in and, aggressively wipe it off.Hard. So you don't barely smell it with no sheen. Others on here do the same. I learned this from some old cat with a bitchin' Mosrite way, way back when I had some excess braincells. Just so the wood soaked up some protection,not some clear coated mess. I have tried Planet Waves Hydrate. I just don't understand it. I did it to a couple boards and they absolutly stink like rotten fish. I mean bad. You lean over a guitar sitting and it smells vile. It even gets on your fingertips. Whats in that shit? Here I try to modernize my methods and I have cat food stench all over a San Dimas and my prized Hamer.

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
            I just scored a Model 6 in mint condition but the fret board has 'white" in some of the grooves of the wood . is there any 'cure" for this or do i just need to get out the Fret Doctor and let it suck up as much as sit needs?
            What causes this? I've only seen it on rosewood?
            I'll post pics in a NGD thread this weekend Idid great on this one
            NICK...wassup man!!!

I only use Vasoline on ALL my fretboards. I've tried alot of different bullshit. I just did my kid's cruddy,nasty as fuck neck!! It almost looked scalloped. I just rubbed all that shit off with vasolline. It looks great...for now.

I use lemon oil on unfinished bodies..such as my SD-1 Koa and my old Alembic Exploiter bass. I like vasoline better than lemon oil for ALL my different fretboards. Just take a rag and rubbed it off really good.

I jack it like crazy..and yet a $1 tub o' petroleum jelly will last a year.

People complicate things..I mean WTF?:think:
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

People just do shit differently.

Comment

zippo fluid and a toothbrush.
                then Fret Doctor oil. (use 2x a year at most)
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

That white stuff looks like buffing compound to me its on all the model series I have had.
                  I use a toothbrush and Dunlop fretboard cleaner and it comes out pretty easy.Then lemon oil the board.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

BILL!!!!!! how are you man? long time no see.
                    thanks for the tips guys I have all of this stuff so this weekend I will roll up the sleeves and go after it.
                    I just need to go out and get a cheap electric toothbruth (I like that idea) pics wiil be coming this weekend before and after we'll see how I did.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      I only use Vasoline on ALL my fretboards.
                      That's what Jackson used to recommend in their owner's manual.
                      Jimmy D'Acquisto, the acoustic guitar maker, uses 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        That's what Jackson used to recommend in their owner's manual.
                        Jimmy D'Acquisto, the acoustic guitar maker, uses 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil.
                        Wow. I got loads of 10W30 and 40 hanging about. Also have some nice black used stuff in Jerry cans that'd be get fro ebony boards.

I think Pledge etc has a load of methicone silicone based polymers in it that is a nightmare to remove from dashboards, leather and antique furniture, so I guess it'd be the same with a fretboard. Why do they make this shit? It obviously ruins so much stuff it actually 'supposed' to be used on. Isn't there a law against it yet or something?

Pledge doesn't do any harm on Polyurethane does it? An industrial glass cleaner should get it off no?
                        You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                        X