Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a lot of tips for taking care of my new RR1 on the way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a lot of tips for taking care of my new RR1 on the way!

Just finally ordered my new RR1 and want to take extra care of it.I need to know EVERYTHING that you guys know about how to take great care of a guitar. My current Epi, I just abused because I know its not worth babying, never did anything to it other than switch strings.

I want this guitar to look brand new forever and to last me my whole life/ no gigging.

I will of course keep it in its case when I am done playing but I need advice from you guys who know how to take care of your guitars

Need to know:

-best way to keep the Ebony fingerboard, neck, and body from drying out? Also, how often should I oil them? (are you supposed to oil the neck and body?)

-best way to clean fingerboard of debris?

-best way to keep pickups looking clean.?

-best way to keep the Bridge looking great?

-How to keep frets looking shiny and polished? Is steel wool ok or bad for frets?

-what to clean pickguard, tuners, tone knobs with?

Also, are strap locks necessary if I only stand still at home and no gigging? Don't want this thing to snap!

Thanks to anyone who helps, I just want to treat this guitar as good as Jackson made it Thanks.
    Last edited by 3reach; 09-18-2011, 05:52 PM.

Congrats! I'll only answer the ones I know for sure:

Originally posted by 3reach View Post
    -best way to keep the Ebony fingerboard, neck, and body from drying out?
    Well, the neck & body are painted; you don't oil them, just polish them from time to time. For the fretboard, we just had a thread on this; the general consensus is to use Fretdoctor. How often, I don't know...depends on how often you'll be playing it I guess.

best way to clean fingerboard of debris?
    Don't smoke around it, wash your hands for 30 seconds right before playing it, don't let anybody else play it.

-How to keep frets looking shiny and polished? Is steel wool ok or bad for frets?
    I use Nevrdull, it's a can of impregnated cotton swabs that can be found in the automotive section of Wal-mart.

http://www.nevrdull.com/

Also, are strap locks necessary if I only stand still at home and no gigging? Don't want this thing to snap!
    Personal preference. I don't use 'em myself, just make sure you put the strap on carefully & fully (that's what she said)

I would add:

- Make sure the space you will be playing in is "open", that is, keep enough space around you so you won't swing the vulnerable tips into furniture, walls, passing family members, etc.

-If you haven't already, get a good stand (Hercules, etc)

-When you do put the Rhoads in its case, close the case and the latches good.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

+1 with everything RacerX said...especially about not smoking around it.

If your fingerboard gets gunked up, naptha (lighter fluid) works great to clean up the goo. Wipe down the entire guitar after you play, ESPECIALLY the strings, to remove sweat & oils.
      I have a super soft shag micro-fiber cloth that I wipe down my guitars with.

I wouldn't use the steep wool on the frets unless you really need to, and even then make sure you use the #0000 size only.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
        Congrats! I'll only answer the ones I know for sure:

Well, the neck & body are painted; you don't oil them, just polish them from time to time. For the fretboard, we just had a thread on this; the general consensus is to use Fretdoctor. How often, I don't know...depends on how often you'll be playing it I guess.

Don't smoke around it, wash your hands for 30 seconds right before playing it, don't let anybody else play it.

I use Nevrdull, it's a can of impregnated cotton swabs that can be found in the automotive section of Wal-mart.

Personal preference. I don't use 'em myself, just make sure you put the strap on carefully & fully (that's what she said)

I would add:

- Make sure the space you will be playing in is "open", that is, keep enough space around you so you won't swing the vulnerable tips into furniture, walls, passing family members, etc.

-If you haven't already, get a good stand (Hercules, etc)

-When you do put the Rhoads in its case, close the case and the latches good.
        Thanks so much! I won't be swinging it at all, would be too scared lol

Should I cover the wood between the frets when applying the neverdull?

Comment

Make sure you take the trem arm off before you put it in the case! If you play it sitting down, you're a lot less likely to bump things. Gorgomite works good for frets but its pricey. I usually just tape up my fretboard every 3 or 4 months and use some 0000 steel wool lightly on the frets. Make sure you tape over the pickups too or the steel wool bits will get stuck to the magnets
          I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
            +1 with everything RacerX said...especially about not smoking around it.

If your fingerboard gets gunked up, naptha (lighter fluid) works great to clean up the goo. Wipe down the entire guitar after you play, ESPECIALLY the strings, to remove sweat & oils.
            I have a super soft shag micro-fiber cloth that I wipe down my guitars with.

I wouldn't use the steep wool on the frets unless you really need to, and even then make sure you use the #0000 size only.
            Ya, I never have wiped down strings....

I am sure wiping them improves string life considerably and I definitely will start doing it. Only thing is if I use a cloth the crap below the strings might not get off.

I am looking at using this to clean them? What do you think?

http://www.thestringcleaner.com/
            Last edited by 3reach; 09-18-2011, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
              Make sure you take the trem arm off before you put it in the case! If you play it sitting down, you're a lot less likely to bump things. Gorgomite works good for frets but its pricey. I usually just tape up my fretboard every 3 or 4 months and use some 0000 steel wool lightly on the frets. Make sure you tape over the pickups too or the steel wool bits will get stuck to the magnets
              I don't know much about guitar care, but even I knew never to use steel wool on pickups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toPmz...feature=relmfu

Look at this idiot from "expert village" use steel wool directly on his pickups! lol. I feel bad for anyone who took his advice.

Comment

I clean and oil the fretboard and polish the frets with every string change. Typically every 3 months or so. I use the Dunlop fingerboard kit that comes with everything you need. Cleaner/prep, Oil, cleaning rag, (I cut in half and use half for cleaning, half for clearing up excess oil.) And a super fine rubber/emery cloth for polishing the frets.

I change the strings more often when using the guitar for practice or gigging so not necessarily EVERY string change, but 4-5 times a year the whole guitar gets a good clean and polish.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Use gorgomyte to clean the fretboard and polish the frets. It's $19 for a big pack and it lasts a while. It'll clean much deeper than naptha and steel wool and won't scratch the wood even slightly. It's not oil so you still need to condition the board but this will clean every little bit of gunk out of it. I haven't even thought of buying anything else since. It'll make the board look new and the frets will shine like glass.
                  http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog...roducts_id=223
                  You can find it at some other stores, it was bought by GHS so it's more easily available. The stuff at FU.com is the original, at places like stewmac and musiciansfriend are the GHS version so the pic is different, same stuff.
                  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...cleaning-cloth

And the oil I use:
                  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...-and-lubricant
                  This is what my luthier recommends. It's a spray so IMO it's easier to control the amount you use.
                  Last edited by jkkkjkhk; 09-18-2011, 10:54 PM.
                  1986 Aria Pro II Elite II
                  BC Rich NJ DLX Warlock bass
                  82-84 Burny LPC
                  90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
                  06 Dean CFH x2
                  11 Dean Rebel Custom
                  06 Dean DOFlame
                  09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
                  Dean D100 Dime amp
                  Eleven Rack
                  79 Furman PQ6
                  Peavey 6505+

Comment

Originally posted by 3reach View Post
                    I don't know much about guitar care, but even I knew never to use steel wool on pickups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toPmz...feature=relmfu

Look at this idiot from "expert village" use steel wool directly on his pickups! lol. I feel bad for anyone who took his advice.
                    I was saying if you use steel wool anywhere on the guitar to tape over the pickups. Idk why you would ever need to use steel wool on them. O.o

And I like how that guy in the vid calls it ahe plastic pickup base, then calls it a plastic bridge...he clearly knows his shit.
                    Last edited by TKEblue; 09-18-2011, 11:08 PM.
                    I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Interesting product, thanks! I'll have to try to find this the next time I hit up Wally-World.

The "etc." implies sweet cuddly pets, and also those that are not so sweet and cuddly.

Comment

Um...my tip is to stay away from woodchippers

Comment

Something absolutely essential to keeping your guitar looking its best which costs no more than a minute of your time, yet rarely adhered to, is prevention. Simple. Take every step possible to not fuck it up to begin with and you wont need to invest in all those 'snake oil' remedies.

Eradicate buckle rash. You're not on stage in your basement or guitar room so don't dress the part. Wear clean soft COTTON shorts or sweats and a T whenever you play the guitar. Whenever means like every time. Takes a minute to change out of those jeans and buttoned shirts. Do it. My wife calls it my "uniform". It's worth it.

Further prevention means stuff like jewelry. Jewelry is for chicks so lose the thumb ring. The finish on the back of your neck, not to mention tuners, bridge & bar, plus areas around knobs & switches, thank you mightily in advance. Maintaining these frequent contact areas ding & scratch free wearing watches & rings is impossible - period. Same with chains and medallions, etc. Seen them funny lookin' mars in the finish right by the bass waist of guitars? They're not quite scratches. Not quite chips. But still look like shit. It's from medals & chains dangling after popping out of your shirt. So donate all your jewelry to your little sister today! You'll be glad you did. Your axe will look brandy ass new for a much longer period of time than it would had you not heeded this advice, plus you'll reap the added benefit of chicks won't ever again look at you funny wondering "Has this guy ever smoked cock?"

There are many more proven methods for preventing damage to your guitar, but since this is already become book-length I'll close by reminding you to remind yourself to take purposeful definitive steps towards prevention each and every time you handle the guitar.

Apple a day ... and all that rot.

Mitch
                          AxeD
                          Last edited by modelseriesman; 09-19-2011, 12:27 PM.
                          Mitch
                          AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Yeah only play whilst wearing appropriate clothing. 100% cotton jogging bottoms only I am afraid. Also the exercise will increase your peripheral awareness so you don't bash the top fin into anything. Or get some pipe insulation and mask tape it around the ends of the fins...:idea: Seriously though, for the sake of a stratch through to the primer because of a button on a pair of jeans, is it not worth changing your trousers, I mean, if you are never taking the guitar out of the house?

And clean your hands with washing up liquid before playing straight after eating pizza or a kebab. Nobody like kebab and pizza remants on the fretboard....euuuuw! I know how it is sometimes when you get home from work and are itching to play. I've covered my fretboard in everthing from pine sap to cement in the past...but I try and make a habit of washing my hands before playing these days.

Although that said, the properties of the lamb fat and olive oil may actually be beneficial to the fretboard in the long run? Although I am not certain of the science behind that so don't quote me.

Sweat you can't help, but food gunk from unwashed hands also lodges in the tremolo and dust dticks to it. If you take apart you termolo don't use WD40 etc as that only attracts the dirt in the long run. Use a decent oil and wipe excess off cleanly.

And make a conscious effort to play the highest frets on the lower strings, around 22nd fret. They usually never get played, at least by me and have to be ground down by the luthier guy so as I can eliminate the buzz, because all are worn apart from those ones.

Oh and if you use a hard pick you may get microscratches on the front.

And buy some nice thick felt and a roll of antislip matt so you can service it safely.

And absolutely do not clean it with the brush attachment of the hoover after cleaning the floor as the brush will have sand in it and leave microscratches. Make sure your vacuum attachments are kept clean at all times.
                            Last edited by ginsambo; 09-19-2011, 01:34 PM.
                            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

My tip is to forget trying because it'll just make the inevitable blemish much worse.
                              I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                              X