swapping pups in a SL2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swapping pups in a SL2H

Since getting the SLATQH I have been thinking of getting more variety now on my SL2H and putting some hotter pups such as the ceramic 4 wire BareKnuckle Warpig set which I heard is a great pickup for this guitar.

Now for technical questions. My pots are 250k right now and I understand I need to switch out for 500k plus to get the best results? Which won't be a bad thing as I always thought this axe was perhaps a touch too "dark". So I need to just switch out the tone and volume pots? How about the toggle or output jack?

Also, can any anybody direct me to the best 500k+ pots for this application? Price is no object. I want the best but must be compatible to drop in the guitar as is with not modification etc.

Any insight is appreciated.

thanks
    Last edited by Animus; 09-18-2011, 01:04 PM.
    2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
    Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

If the SLATQH is standard setup, it has a 500K volume pot, and a 250K tone pot. the higher the pot vlaues, the brighter the sound is going to be.

here is a big selection of them. http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...ic_parts.pots/
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

hi there, I am keeping my SLATQH the same. It's the SL2H I am changing out probably.

thanks
      2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
      Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

See what the manufacturer recommends for resistance values on the pots. DiMarzio recommends 500K pots but Duncan recommends 250K for most of their pickups. I hear the BKP guys are quick to respond to queries so just drop them and email or something to see. Jackson uses CTS pots in most of their USA models. They don't suck.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          See what the manufacturer recommends for resistance values on the pots. DiMarzio recommends 500K pots but Duncan recommends 250K for most of their pickups. I hear the BKP guys are quick to respond to queries so just drop them and email or something to see. Jackson uses CTS pots in most of their USA models. They don't suck.

Already talked to Ben from Barefoot. THey actually sell custom CTS 550k pots made for Bareknuckle that he recommended. Just wanted to get input to the knowledgeable people here as well.

thanks

Comment

If you're finding the guitar dark, stay the hell away from the warpig.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Cut the white wire to the tone knob.

Comment

hehe

Well I am having second thoughts about switching them out now. The JB/Jazz sounds good to me; I was just curious on what I might be missing. When that Broderick Soloist comes out I will get that and then maybe I will put some actives in the SL2H. That would give me a well rounded stable of axes I think.

Comment

Seriously... If you like the overall tone but the guitar sounds a little too dark/choked try cutting/desoldering the white wire. More output, more brightness, but obviously your tone knob doesn't work anymore. It's easy to reverse if you don't like the results.

Comment

Hell, it you wanted to make it easy to reverse, cut it in the middle and solder a slider switch in there so you can switch it in and out by just popping open the control cavity and flipping the switch.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Good ideas guys. Never use tone knobs anyway. So even if you have the pot wide open it still sucks tone? Might just get rid of the knob all together and put the volume where the tone is and plug the tone hole.
                      Last edited by Animus; 09-21-2011, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Animus View Post
                        Good ideas guy. Never use tone knobs anyway. So even if you have the pot wide open it still sucks tone? Might just get rid of the knob all together and put the volume where the tone is and plug the tone hole.
                        Sucks tone? I wouldn't say that, but yes, it does sound different with a tone pot wide open vs no tone pot.

Comment

It "sucks tone" the same way turning the tone knob down does, if you call that "sucking tone." Especially the stock 250K pot. It sounds like a guitar does typically with the one knob rolled off a bit.

So yes, even up all the way is a little darker than no tone pot at all. Especially with the stock 250K tone pot in the SL2H.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                            It "sucks tone" the same way turning the tone knob down does, if you call that "sucking tone." Especially the stock 250K pot. It sounds like a guitar does typically with the one knob rolled off a bit.

So yes, even up all the way is a little darker than no tone pot at all. Especially with the stock 250K tone pot in the SL2H.
                            Are we sure the volume pot that comes stock on the SL2H is 250k? It's soldered over so I can't tell. Some people were saying it was but then I read a post from somebody on here (seemed knowledgeable) when I searched and he said they came stock with 500k volume and 250k tone.

Comment

My RR1's both had 250k volume pots.
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X