Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humbucker & Single Coil Wiring...Is this Right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker & Single Coil Wiring...Is this Right?

HI All,

Just wanted to know if my wiring is correct.

Also, what are those other 2 terminals for?

Thanks,
    dinkyguitar
    Last edited by dinkyguitar; 09-16-2011, 09:31 AM.

Edit: grr my mind's gone blank on basic 3-way wiring but it looks anything but right

center lug on switch is hot (or ground Like I said, brain farts out) left/right are for the p'ups
    Last edited by Nightbat; 09-16-2011, 10:57 AM.
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

The other two terminals are the probably output - the output is usually two tabs anyway. Squeeze them together and wire that to the volume pot input.

The single one that is the frame of the switch is the ground. Nightbat is right, depending on the switch sometimes the output is between the two inputs and other times it's on the other side, so you have to look at it.

The tip is hot and the sleeve is ground. It kind of looks like your jack is backwards. Also depending on the single coil you might end up out of phase with the humbucker, but jsut flip the black and white around. Or, leave it and play some cool funky Motown shit, either way.

Comment

You're close. I'll draw you up a diagram.
        Last edited by DalyTek; 09-16-2011, 08:32 PM.
        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Assuming that your pickup wire colors are correct, this is the layout you want.
          The terminal on the opposite side of the switch that you asked about is to ground the switch.

Last edited by DalyTek; 09-16-2011, 08:33 PM.
          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

This is the schematic for the toggle switch I have:

MakeAJazzNoiseHere...how will I know if my single coil is out of phase? It's a SD Quarter Pound...

dinkyguitar

Comment

Those 2 tabs are soldered together and used as 1 tab: the center tab where the blue wire connects to the switch in my diagram.
              If you get significantly lower volume (or other weird tone) when the switch is in the middle position (both pickups on) then they are out-of-phase and you would want to switch the hot and ground of the single coil as MAJNH suggested.
              Last edited by DalyTek; 09-16-2011, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Yep it will sound kind of funky and thin if the PU is out of phase. I do this sometimes on purpose as I don't use the middle position that much anyway on an H/S guitar.

It's not useful for metal but it is good for other styles.

Comment

Working...
                X