Heavy Duty Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Duty Floyd

I am considering getting one of these for my Model 3. http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-BLAC...EEL_p_510.html

There is nothing wrong with the JT6 I have on it. I was thinking the brass block may be a little better for sustain. Maybe I am wrong. I also like the fact that it has a straight edge on one end that would eliminate post misalignment issues. I have seen a lot of opinions on OFR and other brands, but I haven't seen any on this one. This guitar is an ongoing project for me and I love the way it plays.

The straight knife edge doesn't help post misalignment issues, it just only uses one post to orient the tremolo from side to side. If the posts are off, the bridge is still going to be in the wrong spot.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
      The straight knife edge doesn't help post misalignment issues, it just only uses one post to orient the tremolo from side to side. If the posts are off, the bridge is still going to be in the wrong spot.
      I am referring to what could potentially be a see-saw effect if the posts weren't equally centered on the replacement, although I am guessing that the posts would tend to center consistently to which-ever side that has the most string tension.
      Last edited by bigolsparky; 09-12-2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Well, you can take that brass block out of the equation because it will not fit on your model 3.. It is only 31 mm. You need at least a 37 if not a 42. Otherwise your trem springs will hit wood before they can hook into the block.

Comment

a heavy duty Floyd? man that thing dont look any more heavy duty than a regular Floyd. If your trying to keep the price down, I understand, but if you can afford it, I highly recommend you get a Schaller FLoyd or an Original Floyd.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

An OFR with a 37mm block can be had from Warmoth for around $180. There is a reason why pros generally use OFR's.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Well I am home now and I have noticed that a JT-6 has a straight edge on one side. The existing Jackson block is 1.25" (app 32mm). As far as I can tell with my tape measure, it is pretty damn close to 2.91" from center to center on the existing bridge posts. I have no problem with spending the money for the OFR if it really fits and actually is an improvement. This is my first Floyd Ros(ish) guitar and while I don't play metal, I still like the fact that this thing almost never goes out of tune, once you get it tuned. I have a guitar with a Wilkinson that is pretty reliable, but nothing like this one. I have even considered getting a machinist to make me a block for this trem. Thanks for the advice guys, so far I am leaning OFR.

Comment

Stay with the JT6 if it stays in tune.

Comment

Yeah, if the JT-6 has no issues with stripping and it is keeping tune you aren't going to see much of a tone or sustain difference going to an OFR. If you want to tone chase, grab an OFR and a 42mm brass block from Floyd Upgrades. An OFR should fit in with no problems at the bridge end. Keep in mind you'll need a shelf built at the end of the fingerboard if you want to also switch from the JT-6 behind the nut lock.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

agreed.

if there is nothing wrong with the basic trem you have, keep it and upgrade to a brass block. if you stay with the same size you have (32mm), you'll notice plenty of change. I've put brass blocks in a few of mine and it's a great way to get more resonance and more sustain and better harmonics. check on ebay too, and you might save a few $ - I discovered this one store on ebay (hoockey) that's about the best deal I've found so far on brass blocks.
                    Last edited by adampone; 09-29-2011, 01:19 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Comment

Originally posted by adampone View Post
                      if you stay with the same size you have (32mm), you'll notice plenty of change.
                      I assume you meant to type 42mm there, which would be the correct size. 37 will likely work as well depending on neck angle/height of the bridge from the body.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

That looks like a Gotoh but doubt it is. Would like to see the other side of the trem block
                        It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by bigolsparky View Post
                          I am considering getting one of these for my Model 3. http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-BLAC...EEL_p_510.html

There is nothing wrong with the JT6 I have on it. I was thinking the brass block may be a little better for sustain. Maybe I am wrong. I also like the fact that it has a straight edge on one end that would eliminate post misalignment issues. I have seen a lot of opinions on OFR and other brands, but I haven't seen any on this one. This guitar is an ongoing project for me and I love the way it plays.
                          Here you go for $30.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-JT-6...item43a9789ec2

I think you owe me 1/2 of the $60 or so bucks I just saved you.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                            Here you go for $30.

Well played, sir!
                            My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                              Here you go for $30.

I've bought alot of blocks from hoockey. His name's Keith. Good guy and makes a good product. I've had him make me custom blocks for the Takeuchi JT 580lps (different spacing on the block mounting screws from the newer models) and for my newer JT 580lps, Gotohs, and OFRs. Highly recommended. He has a website now as well http://guitarpartsgarage.com/shop-fo...block-upgrade/.

Comment

Working...
                              X