Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Zone vs. Duncan Custom

Anyone compared these two?

I'm considering Air Zone as a possible alternative to Duncan Custom.
    Both are medium output PAF type pups with plenty of low mids.

I do like Custom a lot but I'm wondering how Air Zone would sound compared to it in a floyded alder superstrat body.

Which has more vintage character?
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Oops, wrong place.

Can anyone move this to the tech section?
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Actually I was gonna say move it to the Duncan Forum
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

What's "vintage" to you?

If you want something more 60's/70's then an Alnico II pickup that's not wound too hot is the ticket, they have a sweetness to them and the tone instantly makes me think of classic rock sounds. If you can muster enough gain, you can play metal on them no problem, too.

Comment

Not looking for a true vintage pickup in this case, I want something that has more of an old school/PAF characteristics rather than modern voicing but capable of handling hi gain amps and would be good in modern whacky/futu/alternative musical context. True "Classic" sound is not necessary, Duncans have that field covered.

What I mean by more vintage is more natural/open compressed tone and smoother highs.
          Duncan Custom has ceramic magnets while Air Zone has Alnico V and this so called airbucker technology which helps to have more sustain and warmer characteristics. Although Custom 5 and Custom Custom have Alnico magnets and are more warmer sounding than the regular Custom I'm open to something new, I've always been a Duncan guy but in this case I'm interested in DiMarzio as they - at least to me - seem to be making more "progressive" type pickups.

Comment

You also have to consider Alnico II vs. Alnico 5. Alnico II will be more vintage sounding, smoother highs/warmer. But it's not a strong magnet, so most of the time you won't find them wound very hot. I think the Custom Custom is one of the hottest Alnico II pickups. Warren DeMartini uses a JB with a Alnico II magnet IIRC as his signature pickup.

Anyway, if you want a DiMarzio I did use the PAF 36th Anniversary PU in a Floyd'ed Charvel and I was pretty impressed with it. I don't know about the Air Zone but the Tone Zone is pretty awesome, I can't imagine making it warmer, though. If you don't mind the darker characteristic I think the Tone Zone sounds kick ass for old Priest and early hard rock/heavy metal in the right guitar.

Comment

I love Alnico II but it's not necessary in this case otherwise I'd just put Duncan EVH '78 in there.

Air Zone is supposedly a lower output Tone Zone, I'm just wondering how it compares to Duncan Custom.

Comment

I can't comment on the air zone but I have a tone zone in my RR1 and a custom in my RR1T. I prefer the custom in the end but the tone zone gives you a different look for sure. The high end is more open with a little less cut than the custom. The TZ is a little more scooped in the bottom with a humpy midrange that can seem almost like a cocked wah with certain notes.

If I ever get off my lazy ass and re-install pro-tools I can record a quick clip comparing the two. Of course it would be V's versus superstrats.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                X