Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD Mustaine Livewires....black chrome???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Mustaine Livewires....black chrome???

I just got a set of Seymour Duncan Dave Mustaine Livewire pickups.
    They were old pickups, but had never been installed.
    They still had the clear protective sticker over the front of them.
    When I peeled the sticker off, it left massive amounts of "sticker goo" on the face of the pickups. I cleaned the goo off with rubbing alcohol, but I am left with what I can only describe as an "oilslick" look. The oily-looking marks do not rub off or smear or anything.

Anyone have any idea how to restore the black chrome look to the pickups?
    Thanks for any advice!

My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Yikes. Sorry to hear that. BTW, how do they sound? Can you compare them to EMGs?

Comment

They sound NOTHING like EMGs. I have never tried Blackouts, so I can't accurately compare them to those.
      They are, for all intensive purposes, the JB/Jazz set, but with an active preamp circuit to increase the bite and output while retaining the clarity.
      I really like their sound, but the fact that they look like they have air bubbles in them is bugging the hell outta me!
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Wet sanding(off the guitar off course), rubbing compound maybe?
        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

That's weird. When I took the stickers off of mine from my Dean Mustaine V, they didn't leave any residue at all. Maybe ask on the Duncan forum for help.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            That's weird. When I took the stickers off of mine from my Dean Mustaine V, they didn't leave any residue at all. Maybe ask on the Duncan forum for help.
            I cut and pasted this topic over on the SD forums immediately after I put it here.

Yeah, the stickers had a freakin' death grip on the pup covers! I figured it was because the glue had been on there for quite some time maybe? I dunno.
            Even the rubbing alcohol had a hard time breaking up the goo. Never seen that before...

Comment

I seem to remember having a bit of a hard time getting the stickers off, but no residue. The guitar was brand new at the time, though. Your pups probably had been sitting around, I guess. :think:
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ammonia maybe? Or maybe just try buffing it out.

That or maybe the death grip stickers took some of the finish or clear with them
                I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Someone on the SD Forums suggested Naptha, so I gave that a shot and it did nothing at all short of clearing up a fingerprint or two.
                  I'm thinking the stickers may have taken off some of the finish. The surface feels perfect, and when you angle the light on them you see no flaws in the reflection.
                  It's the weirdest damn thing I have seen!

Comment

Wow. I thought the pics were bubbles in the clear plastic before you pulled them off.. IMO that's not coming out. Good luck..
                    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I had to take the picture above with the flash off on my camera or they wouldn't show up in the picture.
                      (That's not to say they aren't noticeable....they are...it's just they disappear in certain lighting conditions/angles.)

To show what I mean, here is a pic with the flash turned on:

Comment

Aha, They look great in that pic.. That sucks. Are the spots yellowish at certain angles? My thought is maybe you rubbed through the "black chrome" into the nickel underneath but that should have rubbed off the logo too. Did it show up as soon as you cleaned the goo or a while after? Alcohol shouldn't have done that but maybe it is a really thin plating over the nickel. In that case, no fix but to even out the rubbing. Sux tho..
                        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Removing sticker goo is a job best left to lighter fluid (naphtha) or so me old mum used to say, and mum was a hell of a sticker-remover, she was.

Comment

warlock, I could actually see the spots through the clear protective stickers before I removed them, but I thought they were air bubbles.
                            Yes, they are kind of a yellowish color. It didn't make the spots any better or any worse when I was rubbing the sticker residue off.
                            It's weird that it didn't affect the signature logo at all. It almost seems like maybe the glue turned acidic over time?
                            The "spots" go onto the sides of the pup too (the short edges, not the long edges) because the stickers went down the sides too.
                            I even tried rubbing one of the sides with #0000 steel wool to see if I could even out the coloring in an inconspicuous area.
                            Even that didn't do anything!

It seems the finish is destroyed. It's not anything I can "clean off" unfortunately. I just wonder if anyone has seen anything like this and maybe someone has an idea how to make it look a little more evened out?

Comment

Put the stickers back on? :dunno:

Comment

Working...
                              X