Tone control query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone control query

So, I have a guitar with a single hum and volume pot, no tone control. If I added a tone control would it have any effect on the sound when it was turned all the way up? Does it "suck" tone even when turned all the way up. Also, does a volume control change the sound, or lessen the output as opposed to running the pup straight to the output jack?

With each pot you add, youll lose some high frequency. Input cables over 25 ish feet, youll lose more high frequency. My Kelly and DKMGTFF both run one volume only, I like it, but my Alvarez has a JB with one tone and one volume, and the extra treble bleed off on that pup is a god send. I cant imagine what it would sound like without a tone pot. Try it out, if you dont like it, switch it back.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Thats what I was thinking. I was gonna put a JB in the guitar and was wondering if it was a good idea without the tone control. I like the j90c thats in it but was gonna experiment with the JB. Maybe Ill add the tone pot but just tuck it in the control cavity. I dont really want to drill another hole in the guitar. Maybe a push pull or concentric setup too. Thanks.

Comment

1Meg pots (when full on) are the same as not having a pot at all.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Fender has a No Load tone pot which solves this problem, if it really is a problem at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            Fender has a No Load tone pot which solves this problem, if it really is a problem at all.
            Is that the same as the tbx pot? I think I have those in my HM strat.

Comment

You can make your own no load pots, just search for it, there's lots of tutorials out there and it's easy to do if you want.

Comment

What are you trying to accomplish? Just want to take away some highs of the JB? Just go with a smaller value volume pot. Or another option if you want to actually simulate the sound of a tone control on 10, but don't actually want a tone control, then you can just connect a resistor and cap (RC network) to the volume pot. I did that to one of my Pro Mods. Works like a charm.

Comment

Thanks guys. This will give me lots of ideas to work with.

Comment

The JB needs either a single 250k pot or a 500k vol + 500K tone + .047 cap. Anything else will be too harsh and have feedback issues.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                      The JB needs either a single 250k pot or a 500k vol + 500K tone + .047 cap. Anything else will be too harsh and have feedback issues.
                      Not necessarily. There's so much more to factor in than just the pickup and a pot or two. I have JB's in many different guitars, some with and some without a tone or caps. Sound great just through a 500 K volume with nothing else. That Mind Funk Soloist is a JB with only a 500 K volume, shreds and sounds awesome.
                      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                      Gotta get away from here.
                      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I zero issues with my JB in my old Kramer with a JB and no tone at all and I did the wiring in it. No feed back nothing. Sounds like you had a bad ground to me
                        It's pronounced soops

Comment

I like the JB just fine with only a 500K volume.

Comment

Working...
                          X