Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it Ok to put a OFR on a Jackson that was originally fitted with a Schaller???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it Ok to put a OFR on a Jackson that was originally fitted with a Schaller???

assuming the routing fits. as far as intonation and anything else goes, will it work perfectly? or is it going to mess everything up?

also i'm wondering if the mounting of it will mess anything up...

You may have trouble with intonation, depending on the tuning you use, but this is not always a problem

however the biggest problem is that the floyd locking bolts are longer than the schaller JT-590, so if the guitar has a trem route for the JT-590 the floyd locking bolts may hit on the edge of the rout as it is smaller. If non-recessed then this is not a problem

Comment

Here's a link that has a comprehensive list of potential problems with OFR swaps.

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...htm#intonation

The site is run by a member here and is fantastic.

Comment

hey ralph thanks for your reply :]

it's recessed but the locking bolts are okay, they dont extend over.

my main concern is tuning/intonation issues.
        i would have it tuned to either E or D standard.

if i buy this guitar i just want to make sure that the OFR isn't sacrificing the quality of the instrument.

90's jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
          Here's a link that has a comprehensive list of potential problems with OFR swaps.

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...htm#intonation

The site is run by a member here and is fantastic.

that was a good read thanks ward.

so in your guys opinion; with my preferences of tuning would you hesitate to buy a jackson that had been updated with an OFR instead of it's schaller? would that be a detterent? or is it totally fine? thanks

Comment

intonation should be fine with minor adjustments. no problem. ask away if you need help intonating the guitar.
            ofr were made by schaller!

Comment

I have a Schaller if you need to swap id trade ya its about dead mint black I believe it is a charvel logo'd one. I have a bunch of OFR's kickin around already but whats one more lol

Good luck!
              Haters gonna hate
              Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

well i heard that after putting in an ofr the post holes are enlarged so you cant switch back to a schaller

Comment

Originally posted by danolikestoscoot View Post
                  well i heard that after putting in an ofr the post holes are enlarged so you cant switch back to a schaller
                  You don't have to swap the posts. The Schaller posts work just fine with an OFR.
                  -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by danolikestoscoot View Post
                    that was a good read thanks ward.

so in your guys opinion; with my preferences of tuning would you hesitate to buy a jackson that had been updated with an OFR instead of it's schaller? would that be a detterent? or is it totally fine? thanks
                    I wouldn't be worried, but I'd try to get the correct Jackson labeled Schaller trem (should be cheaper than the OFR). You could either sell the OFR if you need the $$'s or keep it for another project.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      You don't have to swap the posts. The Schaller posts work just fine with an OFR.
                      ya i'm actually just wondering about buying a guitar that orginallly came with a schaller but now has a floyd installed, so i was worried of enlarged holes in the body from someone installing OFR posts

Comment

if you see that the post holes are messed up, and don't want to deal with it, then don't buy it. or just ask the seller if he had installed new floyd posts!
                        post pics if you can--that would answer a lot of questions. otherwise, our posts would just go back and forth endlessly cuz we're in the dark of what your considering to buy.

Comment

Read the article. How strange. I got a KNE Pacer body that must of been routed for a OFR then as I measured the scale length and the cheapy neck I bought was 1/16" too long at the heel with the Schaller maxed out - exactly!

Being cheap, I thought it was the neck, not the posts, the posts being 1/16" out never occurred to me. So, being a cheapy neck, I free hand routed the end of the neck heel. Actually, with the depth stop set on the router and the projecting fingerboard unscathed it turned out a better fit than it was originally, really tight and a good job in the end.

I don't have a recessed trem route, but a problem I'm having is the trem arm collar fouling on the trem rout cavity. Does the Schaller trem arm collar, under the trem, project out sideways more into the cavity than a OFR? Or is it just a template problem?
                          Last edited by ginsambo; 08-31-2011, 04:12 PM.
                          You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                            I don't have a recessed trem route, but a problem I'm having is the trem arm collar fouling on the trem rout cavity. Does the Schaller trem arm collar, under the trem, project out sideways more into the cavity than a OFR? Or is it just a template problem?
                            They both use the same trem arm and socket.
                            Sounds like your template may have been off a touch.
                            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                              They both use the same trem arm and socket.
                              Sounds like your template may have been off a touch.
                              Yeah, think I'II file the rout out a bit, its only half a mm or so, if that. Although looking at my Jt580 takeuchi, the trem arm appears to be slightly closer to the high E saddle, and that has a smaller top collar, so probably a mm closer or so. Haven't got a OFR to compare.

Anyway nothing a file and some cheap black paint won't sort out..
                              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                              X