Floyd question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd question

I own an EVH Art Series guitar and I am trying to level out the Floyd bridge as I noticed it was not parallel with the body of the guitar. I got the bass side parallel, but noticed that the treble side is not parallel. In order to level this side out I had to raise the string height and adjust the spring claw in the tremolo cavity. Now my spring claw plate is on quite an angle as the bass side claw screw is backed off quite a bit and the treble side claw screw is screwed in. The treble side of the Floyd is still not exactly parallel, but I do not want to raise the bridge any more as my action on the high side is affected. Am I doing something wrong here?
    Thx
    Kev

You don't adjust the spring claw unevenly to change the bridge position. The screws should always be at least approximately adjusted the same.

I don't understand the original problem. You are saying when you look at the side of the bridge from the bass side of the guitar (like playing position) the bridge is parallel to the body, but on the treble side, it isn't? :think:

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
      You don't adjust the spring claw unevenly to change the bridge position. The screws should always be at least approximately adjusted the same.

I don't understand the original problem. You are saying when you look at the side of the bridge from the bass side of the guitar (like playing position) the bridge is parallel to the body, but on the treble side, it isn't? :think:
      Yes, that is correct!

Comment

First check that the bridge posts are of even height visually, or count the threads sticking out - make sure they are even.

If they are, Then check the spring on the treble side, swap that spring with the middle spring and see if the spring is not stretched or worn and not pulling evenly. (You should have at least 3 springs and spread apart evenly) Make sure the knife edges of the base plate are resting in the groove of the bridge posts evenly. Inspect everything on the bass side as well.

Comment

I don't get it. The base plate should be perfectly flat, so, if one side is parallel, the other must be, too. There is no way for their relative angles to be different other than if the base plate is bent, which, it would take being run over by a car.

Can you post some pictures?

Comment

Does sound highly weird. If it was an archtop maybe the treble side wouldn't appear parallel but a strat body? Must have been run over, unless, by parallel you also mean flush, in which case its the post adjustment.
            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
              I don't get it. The base plate should be perfectly flat, so, if one side is parallel, the other must be, too. There is no way for their relative angles to be different other than if the base plate is bent, which, it would take being run over by a car.

Can you post some pictures?
              This...
              If one side is parallel, the other side must be too or your base plate is bent. (Something that is very hard if not impossible to do while it's attached to the guitar).

Pics will help a ton.
              -Rick

Comment

I did take some pics last night, but they didn't turn out very well and one pic is upside down!

Comment

What's the problem? Just adjust the pivot posts on either the treble or bass side until they're even. If the trem is leaning backward or forward, then you adjust the spring claw to even the tension to where you want it.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Looks like one post is higher (high E side) than the other and the trem stop is preventing the rear from going any lower.
                    -Rick

Comment

Oh, yeah, I didn't even notice the trem stop. The trem stop keeps you from pulling up on the bar so you can only divebomb. You should still be able to lower the trem some more with the posts. The trem stop wouldn't keep it from lowering the action.
                      Try adjusting the screw on the trem stop first, and you can also adjust (loosen) the springs to tilt it back towards the body. If you want the trem to float, yank the trem stop out of there.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, you want those springs evenly tensioned. Fix that. Make the spring claw parallel to the trem block.

And set your action back where you want it, it doesn't have much to do with any of this, except the trem stop causes the angle of the bridge at rest to change slightly when you adjust the action. Next, the bridge is leaning toward the nut just a tad, so unscrew the trem stop screw a little to let the bridge lean back more - so long as your springs are tight enough, that is about all it should take to get the angle right.

Leaning the bridge back will change the action, too, so you may have to adjust it a little at a time, but use the trem stop to set the angle and use the posts to set the height, and use the spring claw screws to adjust tension on the tremolo.
                        Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 08-31-2011, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X