EVH Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH Charvel

Hello, I have an EVH Art Series charvel. I just noticed when I re-strung it last night that a couple of the strings, notably the high E and G buzz when the strings are played open! How do I fix this as I know adjusting the truss rod on these guitars is a nightmare!
    Do I just raise the bridge a little?
    Thx
    Kev

I would raise the bridge a little and see how it plays before taking the neck off. Did you change the gauge of the strings?
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Are you saying that it did NOT do this before the re-string? If that's the case, then it's the strings.
      I'm guessing you are you changed the gauge and the Floyd is not floating level anymore and/or the truss rod needs to be adjusted to compensate for the increase/decrease in string tension, as well as possibly raising the bridge. Either that, or you are you are using an odd gauge set (like light top/heavy bottom) as those are known to cause issues with the Floyd.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
        Are you saying that it did NOT do this before the re-string? If that's the case, then it's the strings.
        I'm guessing you are you changed the gauge and the Floyd is not floating level anymore and/or the truss rod needs to be adjusted to compensate for the increase/decrease in string tension, as well as possibly raising the bridge. Either that, or you are you are using an odd gauge set (like light top/heavy bottom) as those are known to cause issues with the Floyd.
        No, it did play well, then I took it to a tech to check it over and now the bridge is no longer level as it now rests on the body of the guitar. If I level out the bridge, it no longer sits on the body of the guitar (slightly off). So maybe that's the problem, I could level out the bridge and see how that works. String gauge is the same. I thought maybe it was due to the fact that the temperature outside has changed a little?

Comment

Sounds like this "tech" didn't do you any favours...
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Yes, the Floyd Rose base plate needs to be sitting parallel with the body. It doesn't necessarily need to be level with it (ie the same height as the body).
            The tension from the strings has to be equally balanced by the tension of the springs in the back to "float" and if it's not, your action and intonation will be out of whack.

The it's tipping forward (when tuned to pitch), you need to tighten the springs in the back cavity. If it's tipping backwards, you need to loosen the springs.
            Then re-tune and repeat.

And don't go back to that tech anymore. That's basic Floyd stuff, and any tech that doesn't know that should not be allowed to TOUCH a guitar! Just my 2¢...
            My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
              Yes, the Floyd Rose base plate needs to be sitting parallel with the body. It doesn't necessarily need to be level with it (ie the same height as the body).
              The tension from the strings has to be equally balanced by the tension of the springs in the back to "float" and if it's not, your action and intonation will be out of whack.

The it's tipping forward (when tuned to pitch), you need to tighten the springs in the back cavity. If it's tipping backwards, you need to loosen the springs.
              Then re-tune and repeat.

And don't go back to that tech anymore. That's basic Floyd stuff, and any tech that doesn't know that should not be allowed to TOUCH a guitar! Just my 2¢...
              I was under the impression that the EVH Series Charvels had non-routed floyds, in which case being truly parallel with the body would be impossible.
              I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by grim View Post
                i was under the impression that the evh series charvels had non-routed floyds, in which case being truly parallel with the body would be impossible.
                what?

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                  what?
                  I think he means flush with the body surface when the OP just means parallel.

Comment

Working...
                  X