Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally! Broken latches on your Charvel/Jackson Molded Cases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally! Broken latches on your Charvel/Jackson Molded Cases?

Check this out. Good customer of ours shows us all how to cheaply and easily repair both the latches and hinges that are a constant pain on older import Charvel/Jackson molded cases.

Much thanks to Mike for sharing the cure. Here's the link:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...56587c4&type=1

Mitch
    AxeD

PS - After you check out Mike's photo series on how to affect the repairs, check out our photographs which depict what kind of shape that case was in when we shipped it to him. Funky loose hinge and missing latch. You'd never know it now. Quite a remarkable restoration. Well done, Mike.

The before pics:

Last edited by modelseriesman; 08-17-2011, 05:13 PM. Reason: Added "before" photos
    Mitch
    AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

I did the same on my case but used metal plates on the inside because I had them
    Makes it better than new, oh and don't wait until it breaks,do it now !lol!

Comment

Got a source for the correct latches?
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
        Got a source for the correct latches?
        +1

deer-headlights.jpg

Comment

Me latches?? Whatever I had came off basket cases .... get it? See what I did there?
          Crack myself up.
          )))

I know you guys here think highly of fretsonthenet, has he ever made replacement hinges and/or latches for old CMC-100s?
          Last edited by modelseriesman; 08-22-2011, 05:43 AM.
          Mitch
          AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Those latches are normal ATA butterfly surface mount latches size small. Unspung version is one to get. You can find latches on ebay or other online road case hardware dealers.

Comment

Kisonen is exactly right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Small-ATA-Road-C...ht_2868wt_1270

http://www.diyroadcasesstore.com/pro...252dmount.html
              Mitch
              AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Interesting, I may have a go at this someday.

Comment

Thanks Mitch, for posting these and for leading me to this community. Great site!
                  -Mike

Comment

I bought a bunch of the SKB butterfly latches at an Army/ Navy type store in Ft Knox Ky.The Army used different suppliers over the years but still the same design.I fixed lots of these type cases over the years using this method.
                    Had some plastic extrusion scrap from a local factory that was the same grey color and filled any huge holes around the latch area to make it more solid.Fill the holes with the heated plastic,use saran wrap over a piece of wood front and back then clamp to spread the soft plastic to make it fill the holes.
                    When dried hard drill and install the latches using the metal backing plate.
                    Last edited by straycat; 08-24-2011, 01:51 AM.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Mike,

Brand new here myself. In fact, you're my first useful contribution here.

Mitch
                      AxeD
                      Mitch
                      AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

I know this is an old post, but any chance there’s a working link to the original Facebook post? I’m about to take on this exact type of repair and a useful guide would be amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Campbell View Post
                          I’m about to take on this exact type of repair and a useful guide would be amazing!
                          Not sure if your latches and parts are attached to the case shell with screws or with rivets. If screws, see post #5 in my topic (https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...hannon-soloist) for a link to a tutorial video on how to replace SKB case parts.

SKB was very accommodating in providing me my replacement part (new handle) for my SKB IMC-11 case dating from around 1998, but the original handle was attached using rivets, and because I don't own a rivet tool and didn't want to fuss with it, I paid a luggage repair shop to perform the repair for me. All of this is detailed in the link in the above paragraph.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply and extra help! I'll try to post some detail of the repair as I go along.

Comment

Working...
                            X