Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson DXMG Dinky Floyd Rose issue

Hi All,

I purchased the above guitar last week and because ive never used a Floyd Rose before im not sure it has been set up correctly......or set up the way i want it.

The problem is i really have nothing to compare the current set up to, ive heard about floating tremelos but i really have no idea how they differ.

Im really struggling to get anything good out of my Floyd Rose justnow, it sounds pretty ordinary and i expected much much better but im guessing maybe its the way its been set up, and having a rubbish amp isnt helping much either, getting natural harmonics on the 5th fret are a nightmare!!

Anyway, i expected i might beable to get something like the below link with my guitar, i just wondered if its capable of this? I dan do some good stuff but just expected it to be better, there seems to me a lot of tension on the tremelo arm too, but then maybe its supposed to be like that i really have no idea!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrUTy...eature=related

Just wondered if anyone has came across links that might beable to help me know exactly what i should expect with this guitar!!

Thrasher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKInR...7555F42B45E2B8

Just to do what Eddie Ojeda does at 2:59 takes a lot of skill, but sounds so easy don't it! Floyds are a whole new art in themselves to master.

Like the guy said high gain helps with Zakk type harmonic wails, but IMO his noise sounds F' in awful, high output pickups help as does high volume.

I've been playing twenty years and still haven't mastered the Floyd, as mostly play fixed bridge which gives me more control, and you can always bend the neck if you get angry so I tend to shy away from the SL3 most days. Weird thing is, without being overly distorted and toneless, the coils on my Charvel 1A give me better harmonics for whammy bar stuff than the Seymour Duncan humbucker on my SL3.

If you still sound like Hank Marvin, keep practicing I reckon. As far as I know the floyd should be level with the body of the guitar at rest with string tension equalizing spring tension, you can set it a little higher if you want more pull ups from it. I'd go for a more old school sound though like either Eddie, with high output ceramic pickups, rather than sounding like white noise from a disconnected TV set.

Had to slip that Reading clip in. Bloody Tube is full of ads now...grrrr. Bought the DVD recently...watching it back to back as soon as I get home, day after day till I wear it out!

A bad workman always blames his tools, you could do the stuff that guy is doing on an old fender, providing you had the skills and the gain.

I prefer this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk6Ut...eature=related
    Last edited by ginsambo; 08-19-2011, 03:53 PM.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Do a search on the forum.

Comment

Working...
      X