finishing a guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finishing a guitar

i would really like to get into finishing guitars what would be the easiest ways to do so ??

I would recommend reading the sticky directly above this post as it has info on finishing.
    I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

There is no easy way, besides paying someone else to do it.
      Massive learning curve, but many find joy in it. My best suggestion is to start at the Reranch site and read their Refinishing 101 about a million times.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

A good hit below the head with a blunt object would do the trick
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I found tons of joy in it. My suggestion is you should ask sully questions over and over and over many times a day.. It worked for me.. Oh yeah, and the Reranch site too... lol
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Spend the money on a gravity feed spray gun and good compressor. Don't waste time or money on Krylon unless you just want to practice on furniture. Even then, practice on furniture with the good stuff.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

There is soooooooo much to learn and to keep up to speed with. Plus it is so much hassle. Plus a decent compressor costs a small fortune. Plus setting up the pipework so you don't get water in the line is loads of hassle. Compatible paints, flash times, surface prep, degreasants, techniques, film thicknesses etc etc.

But like you its something I'd like to get into, mainly because I would be able to paint my commercial vehicles too.

I got hold of a BC Guitars custom bullseye finish KNE Pacer guitar body recently. Don't know the history, or the miserly deal the guy got off them, so this is in no way knocking BC Guitar finishers, but the clearcoat hasn't bonded at all with the base with flushing and delamination and some of the red base is flushed on the black, and the back is a mess of grit and micro bubbles in the finish.

There is a guy near me who has set up a bodyshop. He is a real talent. I'm trying to blag some time down there to learn the basics without getting in his way. To be honest the quality of a lot of refinishers out there that call themselves professionals does leave something to be desired so why not have a go. Bodyshops and custom shops are where the real talent lies I reckon. They don't mess around, if they do, they don't get paid and there aren't enough hours in the day for the prep.
              Last edited by ginsambo; 08-20-2011, 05:06 PM.
              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

No easy way really just do lots of homework and research.
                Not near as easy as you may think.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                X