String gauge and down tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String gauge and down tuning

About to pull the trigger on an SLSMG. I plan to tune a whole step down. Will the 9s cut it, if I reduce some relief in the neck? Or is it best to just throw 10s on there? I normally don't tune down past a half step and I use 9s without an issue on most of my guitars.

thanks

I find 10's in Eb to feel like 9's in E. I use 11's in D, but it does feel a half-hair tighter. You might want to consider starting with 10's. Also, the closer the tension is to before (9's in standard) the less adjustment the neck will need.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Thanks. Yea good call on the neck adjustment. Hopefully I won't even have to touch it if I go to 10s!

Comment

I use 10-46's for D.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Once I used 11-50 for D, but it was too tight. So now I switched to 10-46. If you wan't some extra tightness try DR DDT 10-46

Comment

Imo the bigger the strings the better. Just gotta man up. :P didn't SRV use like 14s or something? When I made the switch from 9s to 11s it killed my fingers at first but after a week or so it felt normal and the tone was much more full sounding. Now 11s are the smallest gauge I use.
            I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

I use 11-50s for D. May take a slight adjustment going from 9s.
              I like EL34s.

Comment

I use 10-60 for Eb, my primary tuning. I prefer tight bass strings, but I like the feel of 10s up top. The heavy bass strings are for my right hand, the light treble strings are for my left hand. Perfect compromise for me.
                "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Working...
                X