Slide volume pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide volume pot?

Has anyone seen or heard of a slide potentiometer replacing a blade pickup selector for use as a volume pot? I figured this might fix the whole volume-knob-being-in-the-way-all-the-time problem, and it seems like a worthwhile mod. As for the question of where the selector would go, I figured a 3-way mini toggle in the old volume pot position would suit my tastes since I switch between bridge and neck so damn often.

Also, I know toggle switches and and volume pots have different mounting hole diameters but I've heard of them being switched as well, so what's the window of leniency as far as dimensions for parts go?
    I don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin.

Thats an interesting idea, but seeing how it would require linear motion as opposed to circular, youd just be changing the circumstances under which your volume gets changed inadvertently, not solving the problem, but making it worse. Your circular motion will be more effective against inadvertent volume changes than linear motion. All it would take would be the slightest brush of something and youd be full on or full off where as with a normal pot, you really have to bump it a few times to get it to go all the way one way or the other.

Id imagine that you could rig something with a 3-way mini toggle to pad your volume, say; full open/ half open + or -/ off, but youd still be contending with linear motion being more prone to making the problem worse, but a little harder because of the detentes of the switch.
    Last edited by Twitch; 08-15-2011, 08:06 PM.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

If you inadvertently hit a blade switch on a Jackson, you're doing something wrong.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        If you inadvertently hit a blade switch on a Jackson, you're doing something wrong.
        What I was saying about the linear motion pot was that an number of things could snag the knob and pull it full on or off. Your cable could snag it, you could snag it on your bass players shirt, you could hit it coming out of a dive with the bar etc, any number of things. To me it seems more prone to the issue rather than solving it. I guess you could try it and let us know, but Im pretty certain it wont solve the problem.

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't aware that every linear-motion slide pot was so sensitive :dunno: . I mean, I understand your point about multiple things inadvertently touching - especially since I'm reasonably physical (and sometimes violent) on stage - but i didn't think a little tiny slider with even mild resistance (to movement, not electrical resistance) could be MORE prone to inadvertent volume reduction than a standard speed knob that I have to turn back up from half open every single chance I get...

But like I said, I don't have any experience with slider pots whatsoever, so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. And in response to the wiring a blade for volume, I'm afraid that won't work. I had though about this, and I'm not willing to limit myself to just three output levels at my fingertips; the amount of versatility that a 0-100% range of motion provides is too invaluable to let go of.

So.. if no one else knows something that might redeem the slider idea, might they propose a mod of similar hypothetical benefit?

Comment

relevant-to-my-interests.jpg
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Misanthrope[ALWT] View Post
              Sorry, I wasn't aware that every linear-motion slide pot was so sensitive :dunno:
              Its not that theyre so sensitive, its that the slider if snagged hard enough will move with the object its snagged on until it reaches a point where it cant go any further. A normal pot will move a little too if snagged on something, but that something would have to snag it in a continual circular motion to bring it to either end of its cycle, which isnt likely to happen. Try it, I may be wrong, its happened before.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                Its not that theyre so sensitive, its that the slider if snagged hard enough will move with the object its snagged on until it reaches a point where it cant go any further. A normal pot will move a little too if snagged on something, but that something would have to snag it in a continual circular motion to bring it to either end of its cycle, which isnt likely to happen. Try it, I may be wrong, its happened before.
                I understand, I meant sensitive to being snagged in the first place. I'm talking about a slider similar to a linear slider on a graphic EQ, not a slider with a long-ass stick/blade like a blade toggle. And maybe it is prone to snagging, but considering my playing style with my main band (trem picking -> tapping -> string-skipping lead section -> sweeping -> tapping again -> gallop -> rinse, repeat) where just one simple movement like, say, a right hand moving from on-the-fretboard to palm-muting could completely turn the volume knob to closed, It's unrealistic for me personally to have a linear volume in the blade position MORE likely to snag than a knob in its original position. Forgive me if that was worded terribly, by the way, but do you get what I'm saying?

And I don't have the resources to try it myself, unfortunately
                If I did I'd probably be letting you guys know whether it works or not and/or where to get the parts to fix this ever-so-prominent design flaw that seems to plague even the most faithful of Jackson-lovers.

Comment

I like the idea. I have no idea if it would work, but like you said, an eq type slider with some physical resistance and a small enough tip to not be in the way (or easily 'snagged') combined with placing it in the blade switch position sounds like it would be a very good solution.

Originally posted by Misanthrope[ALWT] View Post
                  I'm reasonably physical (and sometimes violent) on stage
                  Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                    I like the idea. I have no idea if it would work, but like you said, an eq type slider with some physical resistance and a small enough tip to not be in the way (or easily 'snagged') combined with placing it in the blade switch position sounds like it would be a very good solution.
                    My thoughts exactly

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                    Awesome.
                    Yeah, some people respond with uneasiness and/or confusion when the band members slam amongst themselves and mosh with the crowd, but I feel justified knowing excellent folk such as yourself appreciate it

Comment

Heh, when's your next show?
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I distinctly remember someone made a fader volume pot years ago. I wanna say starr switch?
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          Heh, when's your next show?
                          I'm in the process of writing material for a new band, the last one was dissolved because we're assholes and we started to hate our name, each other, and all of our music
                          That said, though, Visceral Doom (the new band) is victim to unfair pressure from friends to start gigging again so once we lock down like two more songs or so we'll start doing some short 20-minute sets to get some buzz going. I'll be sure and PM you or something when we get our shit together if you REALLY want to see us.

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          I distinctly remember someone made a fader volume pot years ago. I wanna say starr switch?
                          Wow, please tell me more. This is... intriguing.

Comment

I'm with Twitch - I could see this being a real problem if the slider got caught on your Star Wars bedspread or on the crocheted blanket across your knees while you're playing, or when you're practicing your Pete Townsend windmills in front of the sliding mirror doors in your bedroom.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Heed the voice of experience

Comment

Working...
                              X