pickup/gain booster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup/gain booster

Has anyone installed or used one of these before? Thoughts/opinions?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Onboard-...amp_p_569.html

Here's what I would like to accomplish.... I have a Jackson DK2 that I love. I like the tone of the single coils, but I would like more output from the neck pickup when playing overdriven leads. The magnetic pull from the singles is so strong that I have to keep them pretty far away from the strings - especially the bass side. So I thought this might give me the boost I'm seeking without changing out the pickups and altering the tone that I already like.

I was also considering the EMG Afterburner booster.

I played a DK2FS (Firestorm) years ago. It had a built in variable boost. Pretty nifty. I'd have one except I hate excess controls on my guitar. Definitely worth checking out though, if you don't mind the extra appointments.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

I have the the EMG AB in one of my guitars, its great, at least to me. Dont know how it would be on singles though.
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Go to Radio Shack an buy an LM386 chip for a few bucks and a few other parts. It will give you a clean amplified boost for little money.

Comment

Youre assuming the OP knows how to do that stuff there Don. Hell, I vaguely know how and Id still rather buy one ready to install.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

whatever hum is coming out of your single coils, it'll amplify them as well as add its own noise. So, be prepared for that. I still have my EMG afterburner which I took out from a DKMGT. I liked it except for the amplified noise.
            Sam

Comment

I believe those singles (Duncan Designed) were hum-cancelling.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i definitely would rather buy the circuit ready to install. i am good with wiring, but that doesn't mean i can build my own circuit.

there is no noticeable hum from the singles unless the guitar is sitting right next to the amp.

i had read that the EMG circuit is really clean adding no noise of its own. but i haven't read anything about how the GFS circuit compares.

i believe seymour duncan also has their own booster circuit. anybody have any experience with that one too?

Comment

It's been years like I said, but I don't recall any bothersome noise from the Dinky Firestorm. Then again, the douchebags at the store wouldn't let me crank anything.
                  "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

I acquired an EMG afterburner from a fellow JCF board member and installed it over the weekend. Overall I am pleased with the results. I delivers plenty of boost and more than accomplishes what I set out to do.

The Afterburner adds no noise of its own. The only added noise is the previously unheard normal hum of the single coils - and I have to crank the AB up at least halfway to get that.
                    Last edited by rebar71; 08-22-2011, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I'm glad it works for you. My DK2T had no string grounding and there was always an ever present hum. i noticed the same in the DKMGT and thought it was due to the after-burner. Good job!
                      Sam

Comment

Working...
                      X