Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stripped screw holding locking nut to neck. Repair methods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped screw holding locking nut to neck. Repair methods?

I just rec’d a DKM2 (Bengal, baby!) and the nut creaks using the trem. I’ve examined it and see one of the 2 wood screws that affixes the locking nut to the neck is turning freely and can’t be tightened. I’m assuming this Is causing the creaking although the guitar isn’t going out of tune.

I’ve used the toothpick/wood glue method to fix stripped strap buttons before. Is the right repair for this situation?? I could also use a larger screw just as well. I’m looking to hear what the tried and true methods are on this board. Any thoughts would be much appreciated as the creaking is driving me crazy…

I have used the toothpick/wood glue method for locking nuts with great success as well.
    It's not actually holding against force, so if it's not TOO stripped, you could just put a drop of super glue into the hole and let it dry, then replace the screw.
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

dowel and glue the hole, then re-drill, also check how close they are to the truss rod cut-out, if close there may not be enough wood for the screws, if this is a problem you can drill the screws on a on angle

see if the toothpick solution works if you dont want to dowel it properly, the toothpicks are little dowels anyway

good luck!

Comment

This repair turned out to me much easier and quicker than I had anticipated. I didn’t even have to remove the strings, just block the trem in the cavity. Loosen the G &D and pulled the strings to the side of the nut. Removed the nut and sure enough, the bass side the was stripped pretty well. It’s a small hole so I cut a maple toothpick into several long slivers w/an Xacto, covered them w/wood glue, inserted into the hole and then screwed the nut back into place. I replaced the 2 paper shims that were originally under the nut as well.

I was able to securely snug the screw into the filled hole w/no slippage and it was very secure. I tightened it up, put the strings through the nut, unblocked the trem and tuned it up to pitch. Perfect with absolutely no nut movement or creaking. This was driving me crazy and I was planning on returning the guitar (GC used gear) if I couldn’t resolve this issue.

Thanks guys for the responses affirming repair methods.

Comment

I like the tooth pick & wood glue method, it works every time. drilling and doweling is probably better, but drilling around that area of the neck scares the hell out of me. from a practical standpoint, I always suggest the toothpicks and glue.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Super glue holds better for me. I did a repair on a neck screw with super glue, it's tight as hell, it's been off and on at least a dozen times, still holds tight as hell.

Comment

Working...
            X