Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG's in Mahogany Guitars?

Hello Everybody,
    It could be just me, but it seems that everybody raves about EMG's being excellent pickups for metal, and seeing as I already have Seymour Duncan Blackouts in my DXMG, I really wanted a guitar with EMG's to compare them to. So I recently purchased an ESP/LTD M-202BB equipped with an EMG 81 in the bridge and an EMG 60 in the neck. I think they sound terrible. There's absolutely no substance to the tone; it's very dry and bland, and it almost makes my tube amp sound solid state. They just suck, and I can't see how anybody can claim they are good for metal. I will admit that the 60 is a very articulate pickup, but the tone they produce is garbage. I got to thinking about it, and maybe they just aren't good for mahogany guitars? The body is a Mahogany super-strat style with a Bubinga top. Has anybody had experience with EMG's paired with mahogany bodied guitars?

I put EMGs in my '04 Vintage Mahogany Les Paul Studio... it's one of the worn/faded series and is all mahogany, even the top. I've got a chrome 25th anniversary 81 in the neck and an 85 in the bridge, and they sound great!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

+1 Ive got an old 81(no quick connect) in my Axtra, its 3/4 maple cap and like 1 1/4'' Mahogany back, the thing is as beefy and punishing as any of my other guitars. Its a little more mean because it hits the input a little harder, but I have no complaints about the tone.

In contrast to that, I had one of the DKMGs that had the 81/85 set and that thing was one of the most sterile, god awful sounding guitars Ive ever owned. Sure not Mahogany, but the tone blew anyhow.
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I have dual 89's in a custom Jackson with Mahogany body and maple top. Sounds great. One of my best sounding guitars.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by -PhantomLord- View Post
          There's absolutely no substance to the tone;
          Sounds like Emg's to me.

Comment

I also had a set of chrome 81s in my old Hamer Special which was mahogany body and neck with 3/8" maple top, and that thing sounded awesome... even better than when it had the Duncan JB/'59 combo. I usually don't care for the JB much, and I'm also not usually a fan of the bright 81 in the bridge.

Comment

Being a rock and bluesman addicted to fat sounds I'd never go near an EMG. I've never tryed them to be honest, but my impression is that they are like a depressed Wah pedal. All very high mids and screaming treble with no tone, unless you want a thin nasally sound with the pot turned down or the amp compensated. I guess. like active pickups, they would be easier to play but you can't beat fat tones IMO. EMGs, the sort of pickup that, at an open air gig you just can't hear I reckon.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe someone can convert me.
              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Theyre hit and miss as far as Im concerned, but then from guitar to guitar, any pickup could be a useless waste of space. Every guitar is a little different, but, passive pickups seem to be a little less picky as to what guitar they go in. Then there are guitars that sound like poo no matter whats in them, its just the nature of the beast.

When it comes to EMGs, Im the opposite of most anyhow, Ill take an 81 over an 85 in the bridge all day long so long as it fits the guitar. IMO, an 85 belongs in the neck, period. Theyre just way to fat sounding to me, they make the bridge position sound like the neck position. Why have two neck positions?
                Last edited by Twitch; 08-12-2011, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I have a set of 81(n) 85(b) in both an Ibanez RG and BC Rich Warlock and they keep that mahogany character with the EMGs
                  Solid warm character with that over the top push from the hot signal

I find 85's in the neck overpower 81's in the bridge, 81/81 (or ofcourse 85-85) would do fine, but I sure don't consider an 85 only a neck p'up, in the bridge they're a solid chunk whereas an 81 can sound a bit thin

-Just in case somebody's wondering: "Why 2 mahogany/EMG equipped guitars?"
                  Yeah, 2 is too much. the Ibanez I converted to EMGs years ago and only recently acquiered the -already active- BC Rich, just haven't got around to refitting the Ibanez to passives

Perhaps before I do that I'm gonna try 81/81 and 85/85 combo to see how that sounds (hmmm, still have a 60 lying around)
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                    +1 Ive got an old 81(no quick connect) in my Axtra, its 3/4 maple cap and like 1 1/4'' Mahogany back, the thing is as beefy and punishing as any of my other guitars. Its a little more mean because it hits the input a little harder, but I have no complaints about the tone.

In contrast to that, I had one of the DKMGs that had the 81/85 set and that thing was one of the most sterile, god awful sounding guitars Ive ever owned. Sure not Mahogany, but the tone blew anyhow.
                    I'm glad you said that, because I've been wanting a DKMG for quite some time, but now I'm having second thoughts about it.

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                    Being a rock and bluesman addicted to fat sounds I'd never go near an EMG. I've never tryed them to be honest, but my impression is that they are like a depressed Wah pedal. All very high mids and screaming treble with no tone, unless you want a thin nasally sound with the pot turned down or the amp compensated. I guess. like active pickups, they would be easier to play but you can't beat fat tones IMO. EMGs, the sort of pickup that, at an open air gig you just can't hear I reckon.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe someone can convert me.
                    Actually, it's funny that you say that; I played a show last night and used that guitar for the first few songs, and our other guitarist made a comment that at one point it sounded like I had a wah effect going, but I don't use any effects at all, I just run the guitar straight to the amp. Right now, I'd have to say the EMG's are pretty worthless in this guitar anyways. In my opinion, the SD Blackouts are a great active pickup, with thick, rich tone. But then again I'm pretty much exclusively a metal player, so somebody with a different playing style might not think the same thing

Theyre hit and miss as far as Im concerned, but then from guitar to guitar, any pickup could be a useless waste of space. Every guitar is a little different, but, passive pickups seem to be a little less picky as to what guitar they go in. Then there are guitars that sound like poo no matter whats in them, its just the nature of the beast.

When it comes to EMGs, Im the opposite of most anyhow, Ill take an 81 over an 85 in the bridge all day long so long as it fits the guitar. IMO, an 85 belongs in the neck, period. Theyre just way to fat sounding to me, they make the bridge position sound like the neck position. Why have two neck positions?
                    I can see that, I've always associated the 85 with the neck position, and I can't see myself ever using one in the bridge. But it works for some people I guess, and you might as well go with whatever works for you.

I've also noticed something with the wiring; there aren't any ground wires anywhere. The pickups are grounded to the pots, but there isn't any ground going to the bridge or anything. It appears to be professionally wired though, there was even a battery cavity added and if I didn't know any better, I'd think it came from the factory that way. But could the wiring be an issue at all, or are all EMG's wired like this?

Comment

Originally posted by -PhantomLord- View Post
                      I've also noticed something with the wiring; there aren't any ground wires anywhere. The pickups are grounded to the pots, but there isn't any ground going to the bridge or anything. It appears to be professionally wired though, there was even a battery cavity added and if I didn't know any better, I'd think it came from the factory that way. But could the wiring be an issue at all, or are all EMG's wired like this?
                      EMGs do not need a ground to bridge/strings
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                        I sure don't consider an 85 only a neck p'up, in the bridge they're a solid chunk whereas an 81 can sound a bit thin
                        I also think the 81 can sound too bright and thin, in the bridge, of a lot of guitars. The 85 in the bridge (with either a 60 or 81 in the neck) is the way to go!
                        Twitch, how can you think the 85 in the bridge sounds the same as in the neck? Any pup in the neck will sound warmer in the neck than the bridge, whether active or passive.

Comment

I'm one of those fans of the 85 at he bridge. Its not as brittle sounding as the 81. I played emgs for years, then went to blackouts and a couple years later back to emg. It all boils down to personal preference. I like both the emgs and blackouts. The blackouts are a bit more natural sounding, but every emg/mahogany guitar I've played sounded good.

Comment

I'm not the biggest EMG fan. I could get along with them as long as I put another battery in with them. I was amazed at what a difference 18 volts made.
                            I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              Twitch, how can you think the 85 in the bridge sounds the same as in the neck? Any pup in the neck will sound warmer in the neck than the bridge, whether active or passive.
                              What I was saying was that the tone from an 85 in the bridge, to me, sounds too much like using the neck position, too much untameable low end not they they sounded no different. Also, I wasnt saying youre wrong for using an 85 in the bridge, was just saying it absolutely wasnt for me.
                              Last edited by Twitch; 08-12-2011, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X