slight ringing buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slight ringing buzz

Okay, so I bought a used Jackson Dinky with a floyd rose last summer. The guitar itself is a fine instrument although it has the scars of abuse by its previous owner and ever since I've had it its had a slight ringing buzz on the G string. It sounds barely audible when played with the gain up, kind of like a bit of extra scream, however, it is unbearable when played clean, so I recently decided to correct the issue. I relieved some tension in the neck and changed the strings. The good news is that the buzz has completely left the G string. The bad news is that I now have the same problem with the B string. I conjectured that maybe raising the bridge will alleviate this problem, but to no avail, no matter how high the action is, the buzz remains. Does this sound like something is wrong with the actual neck or fretboard ?

Note: I tune down a whole step, the guitar was set up for this when I bought it.

First, sight down the neck from the headstock and check for any side to side twisting. The frets should all be parallel to each other all the way down the neck.
    While you're sighting the neck, look to see if any frets are visibly raising.
    Next, check that the bridge is parallel to the body. If it's leaning forward or backward, it can cause problems.
    If it's happening on open strings, you might need a small shim under the locking nut.
    Also, seeing as how you have the guitar downtuned, you may need to loosen the truss rod some more to compensate for the extra elliptical string movement due to the looser strings.
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Actually, upon re-reading, sounds like a nut shim is the way to go.
      If it's happening no matter how high you raise the action, the nut slots are too low and allowing the string to contact the first fret.
      Does this ringing stop when the string is fretted?

Also, are you using funky gauged strings (ie light top, heavy bottom or the like)? That can cause strange issues with the Floyd as well.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Adjust the Floyd's fine tuner a little and see if that's where the buzz is coming from. I had a guitar that had a weird buzz on the G string, and found it stopped when I turned the fine tuner a little bit.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had this on a BC Rich, a chiming harmonic, coming from what seemed like around the headstock area. I think I narrowed it down to the nut slot producing a slight extra harmonic on the top e, b and g strings, how I do not know. If the nut is too low, suppose is is possible to get a harmonic off the first fret maybe?
          Last edited by ginsambo; 08-04-2011, 04:44 PM.
          You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Also check your floyd springs
            they might be resonating
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I'd go with the nut being a tad low.
              No matter how high you raise the bridge, it'll always grind on the first fret.

However, it should stop as soon as you fret the string, otherwise, it's not the nut. Could be the saddle's too short (replaced by previous owner with a high E instead of the correct one?)
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                Actually, upon re-reading, sounds like a nut shim is the way to go.
                If it's happening no matter how high you raise the action, the nut slots are too low and allowing the string to contact the first fret.
                Does this ringing stop when the string is fretted?

Also, are you using funky gauged strings (ie light top, heavy bottom or the like)? That can cause strange issues with the Floyd as well.

You are correct, I am using skinny top heavy bottoms. The ringing of the G was constant up and down the fretboard, no matter where I was fretting, but now since the strings have been changed, I'm not sure if I can hear a ringing anymore or if its just the clang of a fresh set.

Comment

Cool, glad it worked out. Things like string gauge often get overlooked as possible problem areas.
                  Now that the annoying noise is gone, go play the hell outta it!

Comment

Working...
                  X