Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding lower horn for better upper fret access. On my project guitar

Hi All,

I've posted pics and info on a Charvel Warren Demartini clone I'm working on and the body I bought from KnE guitars, I feel, needs more upper fret access.

This body on the website pic has just a bridge pickup with the lower horn cut in more for better upper fret access. I requested a route for a single coil neck pickup and when I got the body, the lower horn wasn't cut in as much. "He" said it was due to routing the single coil in the neck. It's not a deal breaker...but I was wondering if I can drum sand some addition relief in the lower horn...I'm not an expert guitar maker so I don't know what reprocautions it will have. Here's a pic of how much I want to cut out. The place where I start the lower horn cut in, by the neck pocket (between the 20 & 21st fret) is in-line with the neck screw.

I feel you should be able to get to every fret on a guitar without being obstructed by the body...otherwise what's the point of have all those frets if you can get to the last ones comfortably...

dinkyguitar
    Last edited by dinkyguitar; 07-31-2011, 11:06 AM.

Of course it can be done; the area I'd pay most attention to is where the cutaway begins the neck pocket. I'd change your design slightly so that you're taking off less in that area.

....Or contour the heel and the backside of the cutaway. That may get you the playability without changing the silhouette of the body.

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I think in actual playing, on a bolt-on guitar, it will make zero difference, and as far as any impact on the guitar, it will make zero difference, so long as you don't cut in too much near where the neck bolts on.

IMO Sully is right on as far as the heel contour (watch your bolts don't come through the fretboard, though) making more difference than a little extra cutaway.

Comment

Thanks...

I re-drew my pic as suggested...

And is this what you mean by heel contour? This is off my Dinky XL. I was also thinking on adding this to the body since the heel on it is so thick. It's just as thick as on the new Charvel models...

dinkyguitar

Comment

Your contour revision looks better if you plan on going about it that way. there are a bunch of different ways to do the heel, but here are a few visuals of what I do. Granted, it's a different body shape, but the idea is the same; angle the heel from full thickness to about 1/2", then sculpt out the inside of the cutaway.

Draw it on in pencil first.

Remember that you'll need to get shorter screws if you go this route.

Sully
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Sully....

I'll be tackling this soon. I just ordered a bunch of parts I have to trial fit, but once that's done, I'm off to sculpting..

1 more question....what tool did you use to angle the heel?

dinkyguitar

Comment

You can cut out wood up to the neck pickup, as the sides of the pocket don't really matter.

You can also round the neck heel where it flattens out at the front of the pocket.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyguitar View Post
                Thanks Sully....

I'll be tackling this soon. I just ordered a bunch of parts I have to trial fit, but once that's done, I'm off to sculpting..

1 more question....what tool did you use to angle the heel?

dinkyguitar
                Rasps and files.

Sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                X