Speaker cabinet question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker cabinet question.

Just bought a Carvin v212 cabinet for $125, hoping it was a good deal. It has Celstion Rocket 50's in it. Going to try it out at band practice tomorrow. Anyways my question is: With 2 50 watt speakers in it how can it be rated at 200 watts? I would think 100 tops. Appreciate your help.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Is that 200w peak, or RMS? If its peak, its bologna. If its RMS, I too would like to know how they think it will handle that continuously. Also, I dont think the Carvins came/come stock with Celestions, so its probably had the speakers swapped out of it.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

It's old. I did some looking on the net and cant find much on their site or anywhere but they sell Rocket 50 speakers. I'm gonna run my Sovtek Mig 100 through it today will see how it does. I'm thinking it will get a couple speakers from my 412 cab put in it. I love how my 412 sounds but it's hard to haul in my Accord.
      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

It didn't sound all that bad with the cheap celestions in it, but I really like it now put a Carvin GT12 in the top and a Eminence Man O War in the bottom. OMG roar. Wierd thing though it had 2 8ohm speakers in with a switch on the back to go either 16ohm or 4ohm. I put 2 16ohm speakers in it and now the switch is 27.4ohm and 7.6ohm. Checked with a multi meter before I hooked it up just to make sure I didn't hurt my amp, glad I did. I can't think the 27.4ohm setting is going to be very useful. LOL

Comment

I'm assuming it originally had a couple of 100 W speakers in it. Celestion used to make a pretty decent sound 100 W speaker for combos and such. I had those 50 W Celestions in some of the ADA cabs that were pretty popular in the early 90s and they weren't half bad, though certainly not the best.

Just noticed that I'm just down the road a bit from you, in KC. Been through Osceola many times when I lived in MN and used to drive back here to see family.

Comment

I've got a Carvin VE212 cabinet that came with two Carvin BR12 British Series 12s. The spec sheet for it (here in front of me) says it has a power handling of 200watts, but doesn't state RMS or Peak. I've used it with a Fender RocPro1000 head (100w) for years.

The spec sheet also says it's wired for 4 Ohms, but it doesn't have a switch on the back, just the one jack.

I'm also not sure what the power rating on each speaker is (or even if they're marked with it).
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If they're original, then they should be 100 W each, if the cab is 200 W. I'd hope they're only spec'd in RMS, but it always makes me nervous when they don't tell you.

Btw, if you check the cab with an ohm-meter, you can find it's impedance. Resistance will be a number slightly lower than the rated impedance: something in the 3's if it's 4 ohms, something in the 14's or 15's if it's 16 ohms, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                I put 2 16ohm speakers in it and now the switch is 27.4ohm and 7.6ohm. Checked with a multi meter before I hooked it up just to make sure I didn't hurt my amp, glad I did. I can't think the 27.4ohm setting is going to be very useful. LOL
                That's just what you could expect. Wire in series and the Ohms will add up to the actual resistance (16 Ohm+16Ohm = 32Ohm) wire them parallel and you'll add the reciprocals of the speakers resistance up the the reciprocal of the final resistance (1/16 Ohm + 1/16 Ohm = 2/16 Ohm = 1/8 -> 8 Ohm).
                tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

I just put the speakers in with the original wiring. I wanted to keep the jack like it was with the XLR and 1/4 in and out. The Carvin is a 100 watt speaker and the Eminence is a 120 watt speaker. I'm thinking it would be 200 watts now. It sounded great. I'm going to find out tomorrow at practice to see how it will mix with the rest of the band. Can't think it will sound all that different. It's a smaller version of my 412 now. Which is a major bonus considering I drive a Honda Accord, it was a pain haulling that 412 in there. LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X