Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I picked up a project axe. Jackson Dinky Rev. Need some advice on neck repair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I picked up a project axe. Jackson Dinky Rev. Need some advice on neck repair.

OK folks, I picked up a project guitar today. A friend of mine had this laying around, and he never got around to fixing it. its a Jackson Dinky Rev. I am guessing its from the early to mid 90's as its got the back of body neck scoop thing, and its got a German Schaller Floyd on it. So the catch is, the neck is separated right at the scarf joint. its not come apart yet, the truss rod and fretboard are holding it there with no string tension. it needs to be reglued obviously. but what is the best method. what glue? is there any special prep for it? I would think a good titebond or elmers wood glue would work well if you applied it and clamped it tight for a few days to let it dry, but some people advised against it and said to use "hide glue". I have no idea. what can you tell me? anyway, I paid $50 for this, so I dont think I am going to burnt. even if thet neck is shot, its worth $50 in parts. I plan to make it playable and have it for a "beater" guitar. any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
    here it is:
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Nice, for $50 the trem is worth that alone. Sully would know the best route to go. Im sure he will chime in soon enough. I have one of those in blue/purple and a maple board. It has the takuchi trem though so I guess its newer.
    Last edited by Carbuff; 07-30-2011, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I would have a guess that you should really try and remove it and clean both sides of the scarf joint of the old glue before regluing. Don't know if you can put an iron over a rag on the lower fretboard or something? Did these use the same necks as the Performers. Just that the inlays are the same and Performer necks are prone to doing exactly what yours has done.
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
        Did these use the same necks as the Performers. Just that the inlays are the same and Performer necks are prone to doing exactly
        I'll say no - Performers came later and the early ones were Made in Korea.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Glad you said that, as the inlays are the same on my Stealth LT, which is mostly parts now. But that featured a 22 fret neck but.
          You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

I know I can part it out for more than $50, but I want to play it. I know it can be fixed and cleaned up nice. I will make this one scream and wail again.

Comment

Can you post a pic of the scarf joint? Thinking out loud, I'd potentially clamp the neck face down, put some pressure on the headstock to open the joint, fill it with titebond, and clamp it tight for a couple of days. Then again, most of the stuff I do is new construction, so take it with a grain of salt. Overall, you need to get the joint open, get glue in there and clamp it back.
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

thats just what I was thinking. you can put some pressure on the headstock and get the joint open, I was going to get one of those glue syringes and get some glue in there, and clamp it up for a few days, just as you said. I just wanted to make sure that was a proper approach to fix it. thanks for the advice!

Comment

So heres the deal. I got some titebond glue, then I used a straw to get it into the crack. I wedged a screwdriver into the crack as far as I dared, then I took a straw and sucked up some glue into the straw, and then flattend the end of the straw and put it into the crack and pushed the glue out into the crack. I made sure I had coverage in it, and then I clamped it for 48 hrs. I took the clamps off tonight and strung it up. Holy shit! it worked!!!!!!!! at least for now. I was amazed!!!

hey, what can you folks tell me about those jackson labeled wide blade bridge pickups they put in those japanese jacksons??? are they decent? good? crappy? junk? great? I didnt have a chance to try it through my amps because my whole guitar room is tore apart for painting. (long story)

Comment

I believe that is a J85? Pretty groovy
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Nice job dude!

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                        I believe that is a J85? Pretty groovy
                        are they decent pickups??? what do they sound like????

Comment

Very nice man. Post pics of before and after of the area please.

I tried something similar to this once on my old s470 but it was near where the bolts are on the back of the neck for the locking nut. I pryed it open a little bit, used mylar to get the wood glue in, and clamped it down for a few days. Seemed really sturdy then when I strung it up and was tuning it the headstock just folded over. Im glad it worked out for you tho.
                          I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Sounds like you did it right. As long as you got glue in the whole joint area, that repair should be stringer than when it was new!
                            Where are the before and after pics though?
                            My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I love the J85's they have plenty of punch.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X