jackson licensed floyd question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackson licensed floyd question

Hi guys, I have a ke3 kelly with licensed floyd. My floyd sits higher on one side (bass side) than the other. Is this normal? My axe stays in tune, is floating properly etc. But it seems weird to me that the bridge isnt flush. Ps it was setup by a tech who claims to have formerly worked for jackson. Please answer if you know your stuff
    Gear :
    2009 Jackson KE3 Kelly
    2007 Jackson DKMGT Dinky
    1997 Fender Standard Strat
    2011 Ibanez SR 500
    2013 Peavey Bandit 112
    2013 Peavey Max 115 ii
    1985 Peavey Bandit Solo 65
    Digitech GNX 3000

Sounds awkward. How much higher? Could be a slightly warped neck, causing buzz on the bass side. I had to set one up like that recently.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

On second thought, I always have to use a nut shim or two to bring the low e up enough to not buzz, could be a ghetto work around your tech did.
      "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

It's OK to raise one side a little more than the other. Another way would be to leave the trem level and just shim the saddle(s) for the string(s) that need to be higher.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
          It's OK to raise one side a little more than the other. Another way would be to leave the trem level and just shim the saddle(s) for the string(s) that need to be higher.
          Thanks guys. So is it normal for japanese jacksons to have to be set up this way?
          Gear :
          2009 Jackson KE3 Kelly
          2007 Jackson DKMGT Dinky
          2011 Ibanez SR 500
          2013 Peavey Bandit 112
          2013 Peavey Max 115 ii
          Digitech GNX 3000

Comment

Ok, one thing here Im not clear on. Are we talking the actual bridge is at an angle, or the bridge is level and the strings are still at an odd angle in respect to the fretboard? FR style bridges can be leveled or angled by turning the posts. Often time the bass side will be a little higher in respect to the treble side to make the action equal on both side of the fret board, yes, this is normal, but usually, it isnt very much of an angle.
            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
              Ok, one thing here Im not clear on. Are we talking the actual bridge is at an angle, or the bridge is level and the strings are still at an odd angle in respect to the fretboard? FR style bridges can be leveled or angled by turning the posts. Often time the bass side will be a little higher in respect to the treble side to make the action equal on both side of the fret board, yes, this is normal, but usually, it isnt very much of an angle.
              Thanx for reply,,,, the strings are level and look to all be @same height over the neck. The baseplate on the floyd on the bass side is higher and a little above the body, and the treble side is flush with the body.. is this really common? Sorry i should post pics when i get off work. i appreciate everyones time and input.
              Gear :
              2009 Jackson KE3 Kelly
              2007 Jackson DKMGT Dinky
              2011 Ibanez SR 500
              2013 Peavey Bandit 112
              2013 Peavey Max 115 ii
              Digitech GNX 3000

Comment

Originally posted by yostinator View Post
                Thanx for reply,,,, the strings are level and look to all be @same height over the neck. The baseplate on the floyd on the bass side is higher and a little above the body, and the treble side is flush with the body.. is this really common? Sorry i should post pics when i get off work. i appreciate everyones time and input.
                Some people like it higher on the bass side. Just turn the post and adjust it to how you like it.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by yostinator View Post
                  Ok, if the strings are all the same height above the neck, and the bridge is at an angle, that would mean the neck is angled higher on the bass side than the treble side, right?

So measure from the body to the top of the bass side of the 24th fret, and the body to the treble side of the 24th fret, and tell us what you find out.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Ok, if the strings are all the same height above the neck, and the bridge is at an angle, that would mean the neck is angled higher on the bass side than the treble side, right?
                    Not really since the bass strings are of a greater diameter, and are under less tension than the treble strings. You have to have the bass side of the bridge higher to eliminate fret buzz, or have the treble side lower because theres less chance of fret buzz on the higher strings so you can get a lower action on that side. There probably is a difference in string height that he just cant see.
                    Last edited by Twitch; 07-27-2011, 07:45 PM.
                    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Yeah, I always set my bass side just a tad higher, anyway, it's mostly a non-issue.

And given that setup (bass side a tad higher) I've had to raise the treble side higher than the bass side, set them level, or had the bass side higher, depending on the guitar, it's just a small tolerance thing, maybe .5 mm, barely noticeable, but you will see if if you measure your setup stuff rather than eyeball it, but it really makes no difference in how the guitar feels. Now, if it were, say, 2 mm higher on one side and that side was the same height as the other side as far as action, THEN I might be concerned.

There is also the possibility the tech put the saddles on the tremolo wrong and screwed up the radius. The tallest saddles should be in the middle, then the B and A strings will have the next lowest, and the E's the lowest saddles.

Comment

Working...
                      X