Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFR swapping with J580LP (this is not a"does it fit" question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFR swapping with J580LP (this is not a"does it fit" question)

Hey guys,

Swapped a JT580LP for a OFR and it looks fine but because the OFR is slightly to the right, the strings aren't straight, they skew slightly to the right as well. It was fine for me but the buyer of the guitar (bought it two days ago) is asking me if I can chip in for a luthier to remove the posts, and reposition them in such a way that the strings will be perfectly straight.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers!
    Guitars:
    Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
    Ibanez S520EX
    Jackson DK2M

It shouldn't be any more off-center than it was with the JT580LP. Is this a bolt-on or a neck through guitar?

Comment

Bolt on. The buyer says it's pretty off. :S
      Guitars:
      Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
      Ibanez S520EX
      Jackson DK2M

Comment

That makes sense.

There is no centering difference between the OFR and the JT580 with respect to the posts and saddles - you get a gap on the "left" (bass side) just because of the base plate difference, but the posts are centered around the saddles.

If it's a bolt-on the most likely cause is that the neck shifted during shipment due to it being bumped a little. Have him loosen the 4 bolts just a quarter turn or half turn and move the neck over where it needs to be, tighten them back down.

Comment

Agreed. It's gotta be the neck. I've replaced a JT580LP on 2 WRMGs with a OFR and FRO, and both align perfectly. It's the neck.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah, I put one on that SL2 and it worked awesome.

I hate to say it but I wonder if the guy is trying to scam the OP out of a nice little discount? There is no way that if he took it to a luthier the luthier would say the posts needed to be moved.

Comment

Working...
            X