Open D tuning (not Drop D)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open D tuning (not Drop D)

I can't remember the last time I changed string guages, so just I've just replaced the usual 9-42's with 9-46's and couldn't tune up. The bridge was lifting, so I adjusted the two screws to bring it back down and started tuning to open D. I can't get the 2 lightest strings to tune properly. Should it be D, A, D, F, A, D or D, G, C, F, A, D? I watched a youtube video which suggests the first method, but also says fretting is required on the 3rd lightest string at the 5th fret as apposed to the 3rd fret when tuning to Open E. Someone please educate me.
    Last edited by wilkinsi; 07-24-2011, 04:39 PM.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Open D is D,A,D,F#,A,D. D, G, C, F, A, D is standard D tuning.

Comment

Damn that was quick! Thanks
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

DADGAD is also a popular open D tuning.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Is that the Jimmy Page tuning? He got that from Davy Graham yer know!
          You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

:dunno:. I just wanted to play at a lower tuning than constantly setting a pitch shifter on my Boss GT-10 to -2 semitones and consequently dropping the output level (more processing = lower output).
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Your just talking about tuning down a whole step from E standard then yeah? Not "Open D" as referred to.
              Each 1 whole step down?
              D Low
              G
              C
              F
              A
              D High

Comment

Yep, thanks Trem. I worded it incorrectly.

I've also learned not to trust my erratic Boss GT-10's tuner anymore
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Got rid of the EB Hybrid 9-46 set, changed to S.I.T 10-46 guage. Got the tuning I wanted. But WTF do they keep jumping out of the saddles everytime I bend the strings or pull up the trem bar? Yes, I did tighten those trem bolts.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Working...
                  X