Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint for new body - What sealer should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint for new body - What sealer should I use?

Will paint my two star bodies soon.

Decided on 2k Acrylic (The sort of commercial stuff I use for my Van, the sticks like shit to anything variety)

2 or 3 Unknowns:

1) What I don't know is what to seal the wood pores with (Mahogany and Ash)

- Can I use a conventional 2k high build primer straight on the bare wood, or should I use a proper grain sealer/filler - and if I do use a sealer, is this 2k Acrylic compatible - can't use Acrylic over urethane, only urethane over acrylic. Should I maybe use an Acrylic Laquer first?

2) Should I clear coat with 1k polyurethane or 2k Acrylic Laquer or both? (Urethane last)

- How do the guitar manufacturers do it?

3) I can get pre cat, 2k Acrylic made up in an aerosol, not great, limited life span, but cheaper than borrowing a mate's compressor and buying the thinners, hardeners and paint and cleaning the bloody HVLP gun. Should be OK if I do a few thin coats, then thicker coats and sand down the peel? Also considering using a local bodyshop, depending on when they get the right colour cars in - could be a long wait - but still need to know detail of first coat on to bare wood, I would rather do it myself.

Also I can get pre cat nitro but with the cold, damp weather and consiudering my patience there is no way I want to use it.

ANY help appreciated greatly! Thanks.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

I'm sure that Sully or someone else with more experience than me will be along shortly, but in the meantime, check out this: http://www.reranch.com/101.htm and then this: http://www.reranch.com/solids.htm

Good luck and post pictures.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Thanks, I think that is mainly biased for nitro finishes. Handy tips though. All the grain filler I see around these parts is diluted with White spirit..... white spirit being a definite no no with 2k acrylics causing fish eye etc. I'm not too sure on oil based grain filler and acrylic compatibility.

But I understand Ash and mahogany need a grain filler. I wonder if I shoot it with high build whether it will just exaggerate the grain and result in a whole heap of sanding..

I wonder what the guitar companies use, as they must knock them out.

Wish it was metal, I would have half a clue about what to do then.

Found some sprayable acrylic based wood grain filler - colour doesn't matter as its getting paint anyhow, I wonder what the difference is with this compared to high build 2k primer...

And then there is the reasonance issue, which I half believe is a myth...

...I guess bondo is out of the question? Very good with Bondo, I could probably add another horn with Bondo.
      Last edited by ginsambo; 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM.

Comment

1. I LOATHE grain filling.
        2. Z-poxy isn't bad; it's an epoxy resin that you use to create fill the grain. It sands back easily, but like most grain fillers, will require 2-3 applications.
        3. I think you'll use more primer than you want to, as Ash is super porous as is Mahogany. Even with the catalyzed stuff, you still want the finish to be as thin as possible.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ash will eat it up. Definitely plan on 12 to 15 mils of material applied twice to get it to bury. The end grain sucks it up like a kid with a slurpee. It may be tough to find the materials needed there in the UK due to emission regulations. In a pinch, you can use super glue to seal the pores. Get some thick stuff and spread it with a business card. Then you could use polyester primer from automotive paint supply store. It will more than likely be gray. But, it is low VOC as it is mostly solids. You can then sand that and follow up with paint.
          Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
          http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

We can get Z poxy over here. Found this vid also quite handy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYHxMg7n9cI

I'm no chemist but superglue seems like an alcohol based acrylate so that will be good too. think I'II go with Z poxy as it has a longer working time.

Squigee! Brilliant idea. Squigee, credit card and some nitrile gloves

Many thanks guys!

Comment

Funny, I found that video as well when I was looking for info about it, and then did my own video (SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bTh...el_video_title )

I've done the thick CA glue as well, and it works well, too. While you get faster curing with CA glue, the z-poxy is WAY easier to sand. So there ya go!

Sully
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                Ash will eat it up. Definitely plan on 12 to 15 mils of material applied twice to get it to bury. The end grain sucks it up like a kid with a slurpee. It may be tough to find the materials needed there in the UK due to emission regulations. In a pinch, you can use super glue to seal the pores. Get some thick stuff and spread it with a business card. Then you could use polyester primer from automotive paint supply store. It will more than likely be gray. But, it is low VOC as it is mostly solids. You can then sand that and follow up with paint.
                I have a friend that refined his 1984 Gibson V like that. super glue for sealer, then rattled canned it with automotive paint from the auto parts store. I thought he was nuts. but the results were outstanding. I could not believe it. it looked like it was painted by a pro. I was simply amazed by it. he painted it that white diamond tri coat, its a cadillac color. it is so damn cool on a guitar. very retro looking. an off white pearl metallic.
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Brilliant. Totally comprehensive thanks! Hope you don't have a mini lawsuit on your hands when that classical dude hears your 'Little bubbles and stuff' excerpt from your narrative.

Only problem I'II anticipate now is a lot of cursing, swearing and tyre kicking come winter, when the van's windscreen is all frozen up inside and out and all my scrapers have gone walking....or maybe I'II loosen up and go buy a proper scraper for 50p from the tool shop.

Thanks again everybody! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMaSQhM95mw

Comment

Bondo spreaders work well, too.
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                    X