Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the cover from a pickup

Hi guys,

I seem to recall seeing somebody here having changed the covers on their pickup, and I was wondering how you get the cover off without damaging it (or the pickup). Just to be clear, I'm not talking about full chrome or EMG-like covers, but the regular plastic ones on Seymour Duncan pickups, like this:

Those are called bobbins, and I've never heard of this being done.. hopefully someone turns up with some answers! >:|
    I don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin.

Comment

Ah, I see. I can't see how they're attached. Glue, wax?

Comment

It's not a cover, it's one piece.

Comment

you can get bobbin shaped covers with holes for the pole pieces, these can be glued on the top if you want a different color, not sure where to get them

Comment

Take the pickups to a sign making place (vinyl cutter) and have them cut a "sticker" of the color you need. Put it over the pickup and your done. Peel it off later if you don't like it. Email me for help.

Comment

Ah, good thing I didn't try to pry it off with a screwdriver, Jazz

Thanks for the input, guys. It's much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                It's not a cover, it's one piece.

Oh, my. I suddenly have the urge to take apart all of my extra pickups. I ve got an unidentified dimarzio from the 80s that is open. Maybe I will start with that one to see whats going on inside. Maybe I can fix it. Awesome!

Comment

Well, good luck un- and re- winding a few miles of copperwire
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

You need bobbin toppers. http://www.universaljems.com/cart/bobbin.htm
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                      Oh, my. I suddenly have the urge to take apart all of my extra pickups. I ve got an unidentified dimarzio from the 80s that is open. Maybe I will start with that one to see whats going on inside. Maybe I can fix it. Awesome!
                      Ive got a half torn down pup that Im using as a fridge magnet. Theyre hard to tear down without tearing up.
                      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                        Ive got a half torn down pup that Im using as a fridge magnet. Theyre hard to tear down without tearing up.
                        Thats fine by me. Cant have too many fridge magnets I always say.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Actually, no. All I wanted to do was clean the damn thing and get rid of all the rust I guess I should have made that clear. But in case I want to change the bobbin or add bobbin toppers, I now know what to look for

Comment

Ah, okay. An old toothbrush and a tiny bit of WD-40 should work fine.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I ended up removing the pole pieces and putting them in white vinegar and then brushed them. Worked okay. Thanks for the suggestions

Comment

Working...
                              X