Whats the difference between....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the difference between....

the sh2b and sh2n jazz pickups? Is it just how the words are painted on or is one f spaced or something? Would they sound the same or is there some spec difference that makes them sound different?

SH2B = Bridge position

SH2N = Neck position
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

To add to the above (from the Seymour Duncan website)

" What’s the difference between neck, middle and bridge position pickups?
      The difference in bridge vs. neck/middle pickups is their output. There is naturally less volume generated from the bridge pickup due to less string movement the closer the pickup is to the bridge. Bridge pickups are usually wound hotter than neck/middle pickups to compensate for the reduced string movement. This produces an even output between all the pickups."

Comment

Yep, you can use a neck pickup as a weak bridge PU or you can use a bridge pickup as a hot neck pickup, within reason. Or not within reason. Worst thing that could is that you waste a half hour of your life soldering. :dunno:

Comment

Thanks guys, I know the basics a bout bridge and neck pickups. I guess I wasnt clear enough. Im really just interested in whats the difference in the Jazz neck and Jazz bridge models. I didnt really even know they made a bridge model of the jazz. The specs are the same. They dont make a tb model. Is it just that the duncan logo is painted on the opposite coil so it will appear normal? Basically, is it just a flipped version of the neck pickup. The reason being that I want to put a jazz bridge in my neck position (because I got it cheap). Will it sound the same with the upside down logo as the only difference?

Comment

It should, if the specs are the same. You can take the logo off with a little rubbing compound on a cotton ball, if you don't like it upside down.

Comment

Glancing at the tonechart on the duncan site, the bridge model has a slightly higher DC resistance than the neck. So I think the bridge will have more windings than the neck. This makes sense since the string vibration is stronger at the neck, thus requiring less windings for a comparable output to the bridge. You should have no problem with the jazz bridge in the neck position. Compared to a real jazz neck, you may need to have the pickup a little further from the strings to have a similar output. It should have similar inherent tone properties though.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/tonechart.pdf
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Cool, couldnt find that chart for some reason. Seems like it will work out for me then. Thanks all.

Comment

So basically it means you go from 10 to number eleven when you flick your selector switch to the new neck pickup and make heads explode?
                  You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

No, I just needed a neck pickup, and found this one cheap. Its still much tamer than whats in the bridge position. Exploding heads are cool though.

Comment

Yeah, ask Tony Iommi. His Laney head used to explode all the time
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Carbuff, the bridge p/u's generally are wound "hotter" (more winding wraps) than neck p/u's and due to the more windings have more dc resistance. It is possible based on grounding of the guitar, wiring, etc, to throw your p/u's out of phase by using 2 bridge pickups or you could achieve that thin, airy sound of out of phase p/u's by wiring it intentionally. That said, as long as your pickups, electronics and guitar is properly grounded, you shouldnt have a problem. What pickup are you using with that Jazz?

Comment

It was going to be a duncan distortion or a dimarzio super distortion but my project guitar arrived damaged so now Ive got a pickup set and no guitar to put them in.

Comment

I was gonna suggest Duncan Distortion - that's what I'm putting in the Star. Apparently SH-6n neck distortion is really great clean, not that I'II know as I'm only having the bridge.
                            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

I just bought an SH6N for my SL2H to go with the TB5 in the bridge... I am excited to try it out!

Comment

Working...
                              X