Problem w. Guitar of w. Technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem w. Guitar of w. Technique?

I imagine one would have to inspect it personally for an informed determination, but I have a KV2 with a perceived issue on the high E string. Often when playing the high E (particularly with the 4th finger) the string rolls right off the fretboard and rubs the binding with a squawk.

I dont notice the frequency of the occurence on my stringthrough/Nashville guitars, nor the ESP with Kahler "lawsuit" tremolo. So, I'm wondering whether there is a problem with the nut alignment or setup, or if the KV2 is less-forgiving of imprecise technique. Any thoughts?
    '02 Jackson KV2
    '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS
    '92 Jackson Rhoads Tribute

I noticed this with my new SL2H (OFR), but I'd never experienced it with my Charvel Model 6 (Jackson licensed trem). I noticed two things: the neck widths are the same on both, but the strings are closer together on the Charvel and further from the fretboard edges; and the nut on my SL2H is a couple of mm off-center, towards the high E.
    So for me at least, I think this is just a problem with imprecise technique, and my SL2H is less forgiving of it.
    Last edited by Cliff; 07-13-2011, 01:27 AM.
    My other signature says something funny

Comment

Hold the guitar straight in front of you and look to see if the strings are off-center on the neck. A lot of times they are, because though they try to get everything lined up just right when making the guitar, sometimes it comes out off a little. Often the neck is just misaligned with the body and there is really nothing you can do. You can get a slight correction from the Floyd saddles or by moving the nut but if it is actually off far enough to cause a playability issue then it's not really going to be improved by those kind of slight adjustments.

This is the downside to neck-through construction because if it were a bolt on it would be a 2-minute fix.

Comment

Working...
      X