Seymour Duncan TB-5 Custom vs. TB-11 Custom Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan TB-5 Custom vs. TB-11 Custom Custom

At the moment, the SH-8 Invader is about the best pickup I have in any of my guitars. Lots of Low and Low-Mid EQ. However, since redoing the EQ on my Boss GT-10, I have in fact confirmed other JCF'ers' opinions it really does lack in upper midrange. I looked on the SD site, which only lists measurements in 3 band EQ, not 4. I'm trying to decide which is the better pickup in a Warrior Pro - TB5 or TB11. If you were to make your own EQ ratings on these pickups in 4-band EQ, what would they be? Example: if the Invader is 7L/8M/4H, would the 4 band version be 8L/6LM/2HM/4H?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

I don't know about making an EQ, but I characterize the Custom as dry and raw, the Invader is scooped and the CC has lots of mids, nice treble and is pleasing on the ears but is not as high output as the others. I use an A8 magnet in all my CC pups. Its my favorite pup at the moment.

Comment

Ross, is that like what they're selling as the Alternative 8 now?
      Hail yesterday

Comment

The Alternative 8 sounds more or less exactly like the Custom. If you like the "feel" of the Invader (that ceramic magnet bite) but you want a more "even" EQ then of course the answer is... The Duncan Custom.

The Custom Custom is more of a vintage tone. Probably not your thing. The bet thing to do with a Custom Custom is put a ceramic magnet into it, and turn it into a Custom.

Comment

Hmmm. I replaced the TB-6 in my WarAngel with an Alt8 and to my ears it's the same pickup, but without the "ceramic fuzz" of the Distortion.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That sounds like a good way to describe it. It doesn't quite have that jagged high end but the overall tone is tight and punchy and pretty even like a Custom.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
              The Alternative 8 sounds more or less exactly like the Custom. If you like the "feel" of the Invader (that ceramic magnet bite) but you want a more "even" EQ then of course the answer is... The Duncan Custom.

The Custom Custom is more of a vintage tone. Probably not your thing. The bet thing to do with a Custom Custom is put a ceramic magnet into it, and turn it into a Custom.
              Fuckin' A.
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I really like the Custom 5 in my Charvel Natural. Have you considered that?

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                  I really like the Custom 5 in my Charvel Natural. Have you considered that?
                  Is yours a mahogany model? If so, the Custom 5 usually sounds best in mahogany. It's usually too scooped in the mids in anything else, IMO.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The CC doesn't really work in 'dark' guitars, unless you're going for a very 'creamy' and 'round' tone
                    It'll chug and pound, but it won't bite and scream
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                      It'll chug and pound, but it won't bite and scream
                      Like Toejam!!
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

TB-5 it is then. Thanks.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                          TB-5 it is then. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X