Who will build me this neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will build me this neck?

I want a scalloped neck for my San Dimas, but I don't want to ruin the feel/value of my current neck, so I figure I should buy a totally new neck.
    Warmoth doesn't offer all of these options on the same neck, so they're out of the game. Anyway, as far as the neck,
    1 piece Quartersawn Maple
    Clear Gloss finish
    Regular black dot inlays
    21 vintage sized stainless steel frets
    Rounded fretboard radius, 7.25" if possible, no more than 10"
    Full Scallop
    Drilled for Floyd Rose locking nut
    Drilled for Grover Tuners
    4 bolt neck joint of course
    CBS headstock
    Top adjusting truss rod, preferably "bullet" style
    70's fender U shape neck profile
    It would also be cool to have brass side dot inlays like an old Charvel, but it's not completely necessary. Another thing, when/if I get a new neck, does the heel have to measure 2 1/4 inches, or would a regular 2 3/16" neck fit? I hear from most sources that the neck pocket on my San Dimas is 2 1/4, but then I hear 2 3/16 from other people so I want to be absolutely sure.

Basically I want a Blackmore-style scalloped neck, basically like a 70's strat, but with my own modifications, namely the fret material, tuners, nut, quartersawn vs. flat sawn maple, stainless frets, and (possibly) the side dots. Having played a '79 strat, a '70s Telecaster Deluxe and a Tele Custom, and even my dad's 1978 precision bass, I have decided that although the thin, fast neck of my stock neck is awesome, especially that sensual oil finish, nothing feels as comfortable or familiar as a '70s Fender neck, even the Mexican reissues feel like home to me. Everything feels perfect, the smaller frets, the thicker neck, the rounder radius, everything.

Where could I get a neck like this? Also, how much would it cost?
    -A great man once said, "EMGs, they make a bad guitar sound good, and a great guitar sound good."
    My Rig- Charvel San Dimas Style 1
    Hands, featuring Fingers

Hi,

If you go to the Warmoth site... www.warmoth.com you'll be able to get an idea of the cost. I've priced out $527 for what you listed. And it's a 2 3/16" neck heel. I have hear of other people putting these on 2 1/4" pocket but it's not really a good idea. You want that pocket as tight as possible so the whole guitar resonates as one piece..

Anyway, it's probably cheaper and easier to get a neck off ebay...or buy a whole guitar. That way you'll have 2 and you won't need to mess with your Charvel..

Just my 2 cents...

dinkyguitar

Comment

Musikraft or USA Custom Guitar both do the correct J/C heel width, and they both tend to have more flexibility with options than Warmoth. They have online spec menus, but you can call or email if you aren't finding everything you need.

Comment

If you go 7.1/4 radius the two E strings are going to give you problems.The OFR is 10 degree.You will have to grind down the E string saddles.
        Get a 10 degree neck and you should be good.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

IIRC, Musikraft doesn't do scalloping, but they have a guy they will refer you to that does.

You won't find many places that will do a top adjust nut and a Floyd shelf, let alone the 2 1/4" heel, but Musikraft will, though it probably won't be a bullet truss rod - the one I have seen has a very small access hole like a PC1.

You are going to have to drill the tuners and the Floyd nut mounting holes yourself most likely, or pay someone to do it, I guess maybe you could ask them if they'll do it or maybe their scallop guy can do that too, I dunno. :dunno:

Comment

Alright, cool, sounds like Musikraft is my best bet. Also, I guess the 7 1/4 inch radius is a no go, I guess I'll go with 10. Thanks guys
            -A great man once said, "EMGs, they make a bad guitar sound good, and a great guitar sound good."
            My Rig- Charvel San Dimas Style 1
            Hands, featuring Fingers

Comment

Working...
            X