Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Installing SS Frets...Should they be Over Radius'ed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Installing SS Frets...Should they be Over Radius'ed?

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to install my SS frets. I want to get them as close as I can to the radius of the fretboard so I took each fret and place it on top of the fretboard alittle after the fret slot. I then take a feeler guage (.002") and try to slip it underneath the middle of the fret. This gives me an idea if the fret is over radius'ed. I also use the feeler guage at the ends to see if there are any gaps. This way I know the fret has the same radius as the fretboard. Since SS is harder than nickel I'm concerned with not putting too much of a radius as you would with nickel.

One of the questions I have is.....Could I over radius it .002" so that the ends seat well when I install the fret? Or should I over radius it alittle more...say .003" or .004". I want to get this right since on my last refret (nickel frets) the frets had spaces in the middle and some ends. I ended up pulling all the frets out again, used opoxy, and when I pressed them in with my arbor press I left it pressed for about 1/2 or so, to keep them seated...

1 last question...The fret pressing cauls that I have are 12" radius, 14, and 16...What do I use for the frets that are in between radius??? I thought of adding a layer or 2 of that blue painters tape on each fret end when pressing frets that fall between those radius...any idea's??

dinkyguitar
    Last edited by dinkyguitar; 07-08-2011, 09:38 AM.

Ummm...you don't know?

I've heard over-radiused myself, but I'd make damn sure.

Sounds like you need some fretting books and DVD's from Stew-Mac.com

Comment

Pretty sure I mentioned this in the other SS fret install thread, but do NOT over radius SS frets. Save yourself the hassle and match the radius to the radius of the fretboard. If you have a stewmac fret bender and a radius gauge, you can adjust the bend for the radius. SS frets have the tendency to be a bit springy, and if you overbend them, you’ll make it more difficult than you need to.

Painters tape isn’t going to change the radius. Put a thin line of medium viscosity CA glue in the slot (use an applicator tip) and press the frets in.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Sully,

And you did mention over radius in the other thread...but last night while working on the refret I had questions just how springy an SS fret was.....and other thoughts...

Anyway, I'm still trimming the frets to length and should get to pressing them in this weekend..I'll know after pressing the first fret how the rest of the job will be..

Thanks again,
        dinkyguitar

Comment

Working...
        X