lets talk tuners what do you know.??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lets talk tuners what do you know.??

okay lets talk tuners. what do you know about them. ? who makes good ones and who makes the best.? i have heard spretzel does. how much post wobble is to much before tuning suffers.?

Sperzels have zero tuner wobble, as did the Kluson Deluxes that were on my Les Paul.

Most non-locking tuners I've used had some slack in the key that felt like it was slipping.

Tightest ones I've used were LSRs, but the key fell out of one, so I'm not sure of how they're supposed to be fastened into the housing.

Schaller and Grover are usually regarded as the best non-locking.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sperzles all day long for me ...easy string changes and rock solid.

Comment

For locking tuners, I don't think there's any wobble with any brand, but there are big difference in the gear ratio. I have guitars with Sperzels. They work fine but the gear ratio is rather low, 12:1. Compare that to Schaller's 16:1 or gotoh's 18:1. Personally, I like the J/C look of Schallers.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

do you prefer your spretzels salted or chocolate coated?
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Beat me too it V.G.LOL
            Have all the mentioned above and all are fine IMO.Want to try the planet wave lockers on something.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

how does Gotoh rank compared to grover and sperzel?

Comment

The Gotoh Schaller-style 16:1 tuners I put on my Model 4 are solid as a rock. Comparing them to Grovers I've used before, I'd easily go with the Gotohs.

Comment

The Gotoh tuners are great. The only thing I don't like is that the shaft between the tuner body and the knob up is a little longer than real Schallers and it looks kind of weird on a Strat-head to me, but on a pointy headstock they fit perfectly.

Comment

I've had good luck with all of the major tuner brands - Schaller, Gotoh, Grover. Honestly, the only name brand tuner I found that was of weak quality is the Grover Minis as found on the production Charvels. They feel pretty sloppy to me in comparison to other tuners.

My preference is probably for Gotoh or Schaller
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

A Few Thoughts About Tuners

I've got Sperzels on my Telecaster, and they have proven to be the most stable tuners I've ever had. They never slip and, although strings, by nature, go out of tune, they keep the guitar as close in tune over a long period as could reasonably be expected.

I've had Schallers on my Hummingbird and my Les Paul for years, and while they do have some play in them, I feel relatively good about their performance. Sometimes I'll tighten them up a bit by taking a screwdriver to the adjustment screw in each tuner. It helps a little but not a whole lot.

Based on Newc's comments, I might go back to the original Klusons that my two Gibsons came stocked with.
                      All the best,

Chris

FindaGuitarTeacher.com

Comment

Schaller locking tuners are all that for me. The locking wheel on the Sperzel's is too narrow, it digs in pretty hard when tightening up the lock. The locker on the Schallers is a nice wide knurled knob.

These guys... http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-Mini...-P985C726.aspx
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                          Schaller locking tuners are all that for me. The locking wheel on the Sperzel's is too narrow, it digs in pretty hard when tightening up the lock. The locker on the Schallers is a nice wide knurled knob.

These guys... http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-Mini...-P985C726.aspx
                          Relative to everyone else, that is a hell of a price for them, too. I buy a lot of those.

Comment

I use this one. it works great for me. I have a peterson virtual strobe tuner on my workbench, but for stage tuning, the BOSS kicks ass and never fails.
                            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                              I use this one. it works great for me. I have a peterson virtual strobe tuner on my workbench, but for stage tuning, the BOSS kicks ass and never fails.
                              tumblr_llvcz7Hwyc1qzb9vso1_400.jpg
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X