Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm replacing frets with SS frets on Charvel Pro Mod

Hi All,

I got a great deal on this 2011 neck and I'm switching to SS frets for a project. In case you want to know, the existing frets didn't even seem to be glued in. On the side of each fret on the neck, you can see a "filler" material of some sort. I used a soldering iron to take out the frets but I didn't smell any of this filler, nor did it melt or stick to the fret. Som I'm not sure what it is.

The frets slots were clean with no glue in them. The fret ends were down with no spaces, but most of the frets were raised a bit in the center. I could slip a .003-.004 feeler guage under each fret in the middle.

The stock frets measured .113-.115 wide, the tag was .023 wide, and the frets were .052-.053 tall on the fret board. The fret slot measured .023.

The frets were very easy to pull out with almost no chip out.

Also, each fret was back cut like if your installing them on a bound neck.:think:

Just in case anyone needed to know about the frets job.

dinkyguitar

When a guitar is fretted, only the problematic ones typically get glued down.

Comment

I've done a refret (1) so I'm not by any means an expert...I watched many instructions videos before attempting my 1st refret...

I always seen "them" glue down frets. Mostly running CA on each end of the frets and sometimes when the fret slot is too wide they put glue in the slots..

I would think that you would want to glue frets since the glue fills the gaps and holds the fret from propping up...I've also heard that it helps transfer sound better...

I glued my frets in...Put glue in the slot, then press the fret in, hold the pressure with the arbor press for 1/2 hour (depending on working time of the glue)...

I guess there's plenty of ways to put them in defending on the situation...

dinkyguitar

Comment

I glue all of my frets when installing new ones, be it a refret or a new construction. Read a fretting article where Dan Erlewine recommended it, and that was enough for me. Now, the glue used is another debate.

Good call on the SS frets; that's what I use on new construction, and I prefer them. They're really "springy," so bend them to match the radius of the fretboard instead of overbending them (like you would with nickel frets), and it'll be a breeze.

Sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
          When a guitar is fretted, only the problematic ones typically get glued down.
          +1 Gluing was the exception not the rule.

Frets have tangs to hold them in place. Gluing was used only on those frets that didn't stay down.

Now gluing for the fun of it because you prefer it that way, for SS frets doesn't seem to bad of an idea because you won't be replacing these too often. But I'm not sure if it's a guitar that has the fret worn down fairly often.

Comment

Probably never have to replace them Don being SS.

Comment

Definitely don't need to replace SS frets, and the one thing I like about them is that they always stay slinky feeling. Gotta love that.

Here's an interesting article about gluing frets in. Granted, it starts from a place of securing loose/tall frets, but it discusses other benefits of gluing them in.

I should ( I guess) add, that if I'm hammering frets in (which isn't too often), I don't know that I glue them in. Then again, I don't really hammer frets in often, as I much prefer to press them in.

Sully
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty hard on frets and even the 61GD stuff I get from Warmoth which is not as hard as SS just doesn't wear AT ALL.

So I say if you are doing stainless steel glue them sumbitches down and they'll stay put forever, plus you get the other benefits of glued frets.

Comment

I like to set the tang in just a bit so you can't see the fret ends when you finish.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

how much does SS frets change to tone of the guitar, compared to standard jackson fret wire?

Comment

Some say that it makes it a bit of a brighter tone.
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully speaks the truth, that is what some guys say... I'm not sure that isn't a wives' tale or maybe my ears are tin but I can't really say I notice much of a difference... It might be a little brighter but it's not like I have to use different pickups or settings or anything.

Comment

Thanks again guys....

I'll keep you posted on the progress..

dinkyguitar

Comment

I agree but I also think any brightness increase can be tamed with a tone control, 250K instead of 500K pots, pickup swaps, etc.

FWIW, SS frets always sound like a great idea to me. Jumbos of course.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                              Sully speaks the truth, that is what some guys say... I'm not sure that isn't a wives' tale or maybe my ears are tin but I can't really say I notice much of a difference... It might be a little brighter but it's not like I have to use different pickups or settings or anything.
                              Yeah, a friend of mine who I did a V for mentioned the brightness right away. I think he may have heard things I didn't, but the tone control helped alleviate that for him.
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X