Need advice on a refin job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on a refin job

I've bought a Fender Road Worn series as my refin project. Reason behind this is I wanted a worn looking Surf Green Strat. Also, since the Strat is beat/used looking to begin with, my refin expectations won't be too high. I've done some research and bought my color from Reranch. I'm looking for advice since I'm not shhoting for the traditional "beautiful" restore job. Some of the steps the site outlines I believe are for perfection. I think I have room for shortcuts since my guitar is supposed to look worn.

I've stripped the paint off the body. I've also got 95% of the residue paint removed by using laquer thinner. I'm now down to pretty much wood, with some areas of discoloration. The Reranch instructions say to sand it all the way to wood. Really? At this point I could see using a sealer, some light grit sanding, possibly a primer, then Surf Green - no clear coat. The original lauquer I removed didn't appear to have a layer of primer. Unless it too was black.

Any advice?

My best advice is to follow the process outlined on the refinishing 101 page of the reranch site. You can always relic it to look bad.
    Sounds like you're down to wood and some sealer. Sand it all flat and lay some sealer down and go from there.

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I have clear sanding sealers - they might have been under the black color coat.

Comment

I will stay the course then. My next trip will be to a real paint store for more supplies.

Comment

What's the plan for the roadworn process once it's painted? Wrap some sandpaper around your picking forearm and stomach to just get it started, then wear down those areas?
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I GOT 'ER DONE! Here's the link to my project. It turned out really good but I'd still rather play them than fix em. http://www.instructables.com/id/Worn...een-50s-Strat/

Comment

It turned out awesome! Very nice job.
              I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Thanks!

I got it back tonight from my guitar tech. The old style Fender necks require patience and skill to adjust the truss rod. He did a great-assembling and setup. I can't believe how much speed I can get on it, how well it stays in tune, and I'm blown away by how good it sounds. It has very little pickup buzz to it either. I'm extremely impressed by how this turned out and how well it plays. I knew a worn 50's Surf Green Strat would be cool but I never guessed it would play as cool as it looks.

I will need to wrap up my project with finished & assembled pic.

Comment

Sweet. Nice color!
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
                    I GOT 'ER DONE! Here's the link to my project. It turned out really good but I'd still rather play them than fix em. http://www.instructables.com/id/Worn...een-50s-Strat/
                    Ha! I was cruising around instructables last night (looking at solar cars & laser stuff) and I saw your page! Ha ha ha! But I skipped right over it without even seeing your username! Trippy!
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                    X