Suitable replacement for J100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable replacement for J100?

Would a JE135 work ok? I have a model 3 that needs a new center pup. I can't find any info on the JE135 , but someone is selling it on Evil Bay.

I think it's a J135 and yes, I'm not sure of the difference between J100 and J135 either.

Ask the ebayer to check the DC resistance. If it's around 6K that should be good.

Comment

Good points indeed. I was unable to locate any info on the J135 at the audiozone site, but hope the seller will shed some light.

Comment

I think the J135 is a lower end pickup from the Performer line. I'd hold out for an actual J100, which are actually really good sounding pups.

Comment

A J200 is the same thing, except it's a stacked coil for hum-cancelling purposes.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ok, good advice. I'll wire everything back up once the pots and switch arrives and leave a pull wire in the middle position...

Comment

So, as I wait for someone to post a J100 for sale, I ordered a Seymour Duncan SSL-5. All due to this sound, which I may or may not get out of my current lil' rig:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...d.php?t=215885

Comment

Yes, I saw your posts over there.

Here's the thing - you like the sound of the J100 (I do too) but you don't like the noise. Seymour / Fender / DiMarzio have been trying for years to come up with something that sounds like a single but bucks the hum like a humbucker.

Your just going to have to try stuff until you find something that works.

BTW, the SSL5 is higher output and I don't think it'll sound anything like a J100.

Comment

Hey, thanks Don. Yeah, I get the feeling you're right. I may still order the STK-S4, or just keep the J100 in the neck and drop the SSL in the middle. These aren't $200 each, so some experimenting may be in order!

THe question is, how do I modify the threads on the STK-S4 so that I can mount it directly to the body of the Model 3?

Thanks,
                  Paul
                  Last edited by Xyrium; 07-05-2011, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyrium View Post
                    THe question is, how do I modify the threads on the STK-S4 so that I can mount it directly to the body of the Model 3?

Thanks,
                    Paul
                    Most people just drill them out, but that will kill the resale value is you ever try to get rid of them.

Comment

Hmm, yeah, I figured. No way of getting replacement covers eh? They're probably glued on?

Comment

Working...
                      X