Bzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Just got a new (used) guitar and the strings that were on it were old and heavily corroded and worn and during tuning the high E snapped (of course!) I believe that they were 10s, but not positive. There was pretty much ZERO buzz on the guitar with these strings, but they sounded dead.

The only strings I had lying around were some crappy brand (Musician's Choice or something like that) 9s so I put them on. I instantly got horrible buzzing.

I adjusted the truss rod and the TOM bridge and got the buzzing minimized, but it's still there and I have the action set pretty high.

The frets have pretty much zero wear, and I find no evidence of any raised or uneven frets. The buzzing is on the lower (wound) strings for the most part, and is only on the first 7 or so frets. They do not buzz when played open.

Any ideas? Could the string gauge being thinner be the cause of the buzz? Could it be from the crappy brand of strings? Eventually I am going to my favorites, Elixir 10s, but right now I have no opportunity to get them so am stuck with these strings for a while anyway. Anyone have any advice on what to do or what to check?
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

well, first thing is, stretch the strings out properly, re tune it. and play the hell out of it tonight and ignore the buzzing. then play it every day and let those strings settle in and I bet it will be fine in a few days.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
      well, first thing is, stretch the strings out properly, re tune it. and play the hell out of it tonight and ignore the buzzing. then play it every day and let those strings settle in and I bet it will be fine in a few days.
      Done and done. The strings were put on yesterday, stretched, played, re-stretched...etc. That's why this buzz is puzzling me so much!

Oh, I should also add that I am in standard tuning as well.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Sounds like a possible neck/trussrod relief issue. Fret the string at the 1st and 19th frets. You should be able to fit a business card between the fret and the string at the 7th to 9th fret area. No clearance, loosen truss rod. Too much clearance, tighten it. Go a 1/4 turn a day and let it settle in and keep checking it. Once that is set right, then adjust the bridge height.

Also, some string types are buzzier than others. I love DR Tite fits, but they buzz against the frets like crazy when they are new. It's inaudable through the amplifier though and doesn't affect sustain in any noticable way. This could be the case with your guitar.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

If it does it on all 3 wound strings on frets 1-7, and there's no warping or lifting, then I'd say those frets had been worked on and it's buzzing on the 8th, or at whichever fret the buzzing stops.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, the part that's really getting me was there was no buzzing with the old strings!
            I am thinking it seems likely something like Hellbat suggested. I think it may just be these strings, though I have never experienced string brand affecting buzz, only feel.
            I have a set of feeler gauges, what's the clearance I should shoot for at the 7th to 9th fret?
            Not sure what the thickness of a business card is, and all the ones in my wallet are too mutilated to trust!

Comment

I can't find my Jackson owners manual to look up their recommended height but I think .02"-.025" is in the ballpark. Hopefully someone who knows this stuff inside out will undoubtedly correct me. Basically on my guitars I use the unscientific "tap the string on the top of the fret, make sure it moves up and down a bit but not too much" method.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

This isn't a Jackson, it's actually a shorter-scale 24.75" Drive guitar. Not sure if the specs would be the same or not...

I just put a capo at the 1st fret and held down the 19th fret and re-checked and have ~ .008" clearance over the 8th fret wire.
                My .008 feeler actually rubs slightly so I was going to loosen the truss rod a hair more, but it's all the way loose now!?!?

I'm stumped!!

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                  Any ideas? Could the string gauge being thinner be the cause of the buzz?
                  Yes, thinner strings will buzz more than heavier strings.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just noticed something that disturbs me. The truss rod, now that it was completely loosened, was able to be pulled completely out of the neck through the adjustment hole at the headstock!
                    I am holding the truss rod in my hands right now. Is there not supposed to be something at the body end of the truss rod to hold it in place?
                    It was functioning, because I could tighten it and get back bow....so....what the hell is going on with this thing!!!??? :think:

Comment

Yeah, there's supposed to be like a dowel pin at the heel for the other end of the rod to anchor to. That's what the dowel in the center of the heel is for that you always (usually) see on bolt-on necks.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

That might have been the source of your buzzing. Does it buzz with the rod out?
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Probably not, what with the strings pulling the neck forward now

Comment

Yeah, it's still buzzing. The neck is still too far back bowed slightly even with the truss rod removed!
                            I can't loosen the truss rod anymore than taking the damn thing out!!!
                            Man, I got so screwed in this deal...

Comment

Put on some 13s and tune it to A=440, then run a hot shower and put the guitar on a stand in the bathroom. Maybe the steam/heat along with the hellish tension will get the wood going forward

Comment

Working...
                              X