Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this look like original model 3 wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this look like original model 3 wiring?

I must have popped that red wire loose while looking for the pot values. Any idea where that little guy goes?

Is that the hot lead for the output jack? Or to the volume pot? My wiring looks different but it might not be original either.
    Last edited by Carbuff; 06-25-2011, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Good question, I believe it must be from the volume pot. Seems like it would be too short for the output jack. Which lug on the vol pot, or does it not matter?

Comment

No the hot wire is still hooked to the jack looks like.That is the hot to the switch.Wire it to the center lug of the tone pot and that should fix it.
        Never seen green wire on any Charvel import.
        Is that 2 hums or 1 hum 2 singles?
        If 2 hums the pots will be 500k if 1 hum 2 singles the vol will be 500k and the tone 250 K.Thats not always the case sometimes they used 2 500k pots.
        FYI if you find a wire loose go by the length and see where it could have gone its pretty easy to figure that out.
        Last edited by straycat; 06-25-2011, 11:08 PM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyrium View Post
          Does this look like original model 3 wiring?
          No, it's been messed with. Are the pickups original?

Comment

I figured as much. I'll have to pop the strings off and pull the pups to determine that. Sounds like a rewire is in order. Seemed like they tried to do a clean job, even included color matching heat shrink on the ends of the green wire.

Of course, this was purchased used, and though the pups might still be original (the guitar is in amazing shape) I wouldn't doubt that one was replaced with a NOS unit. So far:

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            No, it's been messed with. Are the pickups original?
            Last edited by Xyrium; 06-26-2011, 01:15 PM.

Comment

But, you can see that even the Jackson logos look brand new. I bet they replaced one of them with NOS pups and screwed up the wiring.

Comment

You found a real clean one thats for sure.Good score.J90C and two J100's is what you have there great sounding pick ups.

Comment

I would go with an RS upgrade kit or Martin six string wiring kit both are top shelf products.

Comment

Thanks Straycat. From the new photos I've posted you can probably see that it's an HSS. I agree, wire length helps make that determination. I would usually leave an extra half inch or so though, so any lug could apply really. Seems like a standard 5 way to 2 knobs into an HSS config, so I hope this works:

Edit: Just noticed that the current wiring has the cap wired to the middle lug of the tone and jumped to the 1st lug on the vol. I'm thinking this was amistake given the diagram below. Should I remove that cap and reattach the red wire, then attach the cap to the 3rd lug of the tone and ground?

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    No the hot wire is still hooked to the jack looks like.That is the hot to the switch.Wire it to the center lug of the tone pot and that should fix it. Never seen green wire on any Charvel import.
                    Is that 2 hums or 1 hum 2 singles? If 2 hums the pots will be 500k if 1 hum 2 singles the vol will be 500k and the tone 250 K.Thats not always the case sometimes they used 2 500k pots. FYI if you find a wire loose go by the length and see where it could have gone its pretty easy to figure that out.
                    Last edited by Xyrium; 06-26-2011, 02:08 PM.

Comment

My model 3 is a 3a, H-H, so thats probably why mine looks different. I'll have to have a look at my 1c's wiring . It should be similar to the 3c.
                      Last edited by Carbuff; 06-26-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

So, I'm starting to think the Seymour Duncan wiring diagram is the way to go here:

Comment

I just looked at my 1c wiring and it looks nothing like any of this. Its got a strange looking 5-way switch and it does not seem possible for any of the pickups to be isolated. Weird.

Comment

Interesting. Maybe they gutted all of the electronics in this one. The volume won't turn off all the way, but it also doesn't really decrease volume, so I'm wondering if there are two pots wired as tone in this thing. The middle pickup doesn't work, but I can hear a slight hum when I touch the pole pieces. I guess I'll shoot for the SD diagram above.

Comment

Whoohoo, measured the middle pickup, we're in the MegaOhms. The neck measures a nice 6.3k. Oh well, anyone have an old J100 they want to dump for cheap? I also ordered a few 250k and 500k audio pots along with a new 5 way. Now the control cavity looks like (whoops, did I forget to mention that I was installing a tremol no?):

Last edited by Xyrium; 06-27-2011, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X