Thoughts on Bill Lawrence 500XL pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Bill Lawrence 500XL pickup

I have a Moser 10 with a Dimarzio Super 2 in the bridge. It's too bright. I play thru a Framus Cobra which is also a bright amp. I was thinking of swapping with a Dimarzio Super Distortion which I have in other guitars that I like.

A friend recommended the Wilde USA (Bill Lawrence) 500 XL because it's super clear. I'm worried it might be too bright. I need something with some nice mids as well. And I also am aware of the drama between the 2 companies that make these pickups. I'm asking about the non labeled Wilde USA version and not a discussion over which one is the real deal.

Thanks!

Hmmm, BL 500's are pretty roaring in the upper mids and pretty glassy, if brightness is a problem, SD CC or diM Super 3?
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I have tons of B&B (wilde) l500s. L500L, L500XL, and L500R's. They're all nice pickups but IMO are more of a lead pickup than a rhythm pickup. Many people use them for rhythm and it works fine but it's a lot more cutting and ripping than chunky. All of them are in mahogany guitars, I have a super distortion in my Rhoads and I strongly prefer that. I've still to try a Duncan distortion but I hear good things. If you're worried about bright then the L500's probably aren't for you, I'd go with the Dimarzio SD. The highs are rolled off a bit and have a more aggressive tone to them. Still clear and articulate but I'd describe it as L500s are like a knife, sharp cutting tone while a Dimarzio SD is like a chainsaw, ripping. IMO the SD is better for leads too, I like that smooth kind of lead tone like Rhoads and Hammett from the 80s. L500 lead tone, think Dime. There is the L500L which has slightly less highs, less gain, and sounds more even. They're very similar but playing the L500L for so long then playing the XL again the XL makes everything so effortless. SD is just as effortless but a very different tone.

And just for the record both B&B L500's and BLUSA L500's are near identical. I prefer the B&B's because their customer service is great. Shannon (their daughter) is super nice and very helpful. She never talks bad about anyone (including BLUSA) while BLUSA constantly says "we're the real ones, not that other company". She knows the technical side of guitars better than anyone I know. Plus the B&B's are cheaper and have more options. Basically B&B Wilde invented them and BLUSA mass produces them now, while B&B's are all hand made. You'd never know the difference in tone unless you had them side by side, maybe not even then.

Dime used both, that's a fact!
      1986 Aria Pro II Elite II
      BC Rich NJ DLX Warlock bass
      82-84 Burny LPC
      90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
      06 Dean CFH x2
      11 Dean Rebel Custom
      06 Dean DOFlame
      09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
      Dean D100 Dime amp
      Eleven Rack
      79 Furman PQ6
      Peavey 6505+

Comment

The L500XL has a lot of treble, but it's well balanced. If you want a chunky sound the DiMarzio Tone Zone is a great choice. I used to be a fan of the SD Custom until I installed a TZ.

Comment

Originally posted by jkkkjkhk View Post
          If you're worried about bright then the L500's probably aren't for you
          This. I think the L500XL sounds great in my SLSMG, but that's because it brightens up the mahogany a bit.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Vintage L500's can be wonderful in the right guitar. I prefer them in mahogany though they can be nice in alder or basswood depending on how dense the piece is.
              L500's can be a bit glassy almost brittle depending on your amp.

I dont care for the L500Xl it is a bit middy and gets wooly and hard to control like an x2n or invader to a degree.

The new lawrences offered by Bills old partner sound nothing like the vintage ones and even the Wilde stuff by Bill today has a different manufacturing process and sounds nothing like his vintage namesakes, and the unjacketed crazy gauge of wire he uses is a real mess and you may need to do some routing for it to fit into your pickup route..

If you want a lawrence buy an old one, wide blades preferred. I also highly recommend the L510 but its tone is not for everyone.

wanna keep it simple?
              Hard to beat a duncan custom, distortion or JB.

Comment

Working...
              X