wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring help

well i wired up my pickups and ive encountered an issue, my bridge pickup is weak sounding. raising the pickup has no effect on the issue so thats out the question. what i do notice is when i tap the two coils only one coil gives back sound. whats my issue? i have it wired up properly =(

To assist, we need a little more info:
    What pickups/manufacturer, what type of switch, which pickups (neck, middle, bridge)..meter readings,..etc..
    Give as much info to help the gurus help you.

Comment

well its a duncan sh-6 in the bridge and a sh-1 in the neck, 2 hums wired to one volume and a 3 way lever import switch. i havent checked the meter readings but when i tune my guitar both pickups get a signal, the main issue is like i put up before, that just one coil, the inner coil, gives sound off when i tap it with a screwdriver. i checked my wiring over and im convinced that it has to be the pickup itself unless im wrong

Comment

Well, either the pickup has a dead coil or you have it mis-wired. With the info you have provided it is impossible for us to tell what the problem is.
        Why don't you start by telling us how it is wired? A diagram or good picture would be of big assistance.
        If we can check out the wiring and make sure that it's all good there, then the pickup itself would be the culprit.
        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

i think its a dead coil. i had it wired up to the volume following a standard 1 vol 3 way diagram but when i connected it directly to the output jack the problem persisted. now what?

Comment

Do you have it wired in series or parallel? Isn't it a 4 conductor wire on those pickups? Perhaps you have inadvertantly reversed the phase.

Comment

well i figured it out guys, i removed the tape and saw one of the white cables was not going into the magnet. this explains only one coil working. my question now is if i remove the red cable and the white will that eliminate the issue or should i try to fix the red cable?
              Last edited by racnis; 06-14-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by racnis View Post
                well i figured it out guys, i removed the tape and saw one of the white cables was not going into the magnet. this explains only one coil working. my question now is if i remove the red cable and the white will that eliminate the issue or should i try to fix the red cable?
                Not sure I understand the question. Are you saying that one of the wires became disconnected from the pickup itself? If so, you'll need to reattach it if possible.
                My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Working...
                X