dents in frets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dents in frets

this may seem silly from someone my age who has been playing since 1973 , but what causes them string dents in frets.?
    i have recently seen alot of this on guitars and necks i have been considering.
    let me try and guess. is this from storing the guitar laying down with the strings loose ? or from agressive hamer ons.

Are you talking about where the fret is worn thin beneath the string??? If so, that is just natural fret wear from playing.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

no this is an indent in the fret kinda like a v shape never seen this before until lately .

Comment

Like this? This is normal, just extreme fretwear. Takes years to get this. My 90 Rhoads pro doesn't even have slight indents and it's my main guitar. My 81 ML has a little of this but no where near this bad.
        1986 Aria Pro II Elite II
        BC Rich NJ DLX Warlock bass
        82-84 Burny LPC
        90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
        06 Dean CFH x2
        11 Dean Rebel Custom
        06 Dean DOFlame
        09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
        Dean D100 Dime amp
        Eleven Rack
        79 Furman PQ6
        Peavey 6505+

Comment

It might be soft or cheap fret wire.

Comment

yeah them is it. in all my years i have never seen them before until recently.

Comment

Natural fretwear from playing.
              "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I have heard stainless steel frets resist dents and wear. But on A regular nickle fretwire guitar, stainless steel strings will wear the frets much faster.
                I 'am looking at purchasing A Carvin, they offer stainless frets.

Comment

Originally posted by jkkkjkhk View Post
                  Like this? This is normal, just extreme fretwear. Takes years to get this. My 90 Rhoads pro doesn't even have slight indents and it's my main guitar. My 81 ML has a little of this but no where near this bad.
                  That's pretty extreme. I would imagine wear like that comes from very consistent repeated pressure. Lots of chord work and no lead work. My frets wear very flat and even. I tend to bend a lot and play with a lot of vibrato.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Normal fret wear maybe you never looked that close.Its what happens over time.
                    I think GT is right because I see a lot of acoustic guitars like that here for repairs.
                    Last edited by straycat; 06-13-2011, 12:59 AM.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

My old Warlock looks exactly like that. And it's the exact reason GT states too..
                      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

wow i have my gibson from back in 74 first new rig i ever got and its been played to hell and back and never seen this until lately. like i always say your never toold to quit learning . stainless steel dont ss frets have a funky sounds to them. ? or am i thinking something else.

Comment

Originally posted by norcalshred View Post
                          wow i have my gibson from back in 74 first new rig i ever got and its been played to hell and back and never seen this until lately. like i always say your never toold to quit learning . stainless steel dont ss frets have a funky sounds to them. ? or am i thinking something else.
                          I would have imagined you would have worn those frets flat a couple of times over in 37 years of playing it "to hell and back."
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

A luthier by me showed me the most extreme fret wear he's ever seen. It was a 02 (??) Fender strat he's taken in for it's second refret. It was worse than the above board, it was even all across but was just as deep. He said the guy played 12's and had a wound G. He even had jumbos put on the last time. If I ever get a refret I'll probably upgrade to SS frets.
                            1986 Aria Pro II Elite II
                            BC Rich NJ DLX Warlock bass
                            82-84 Burny LPC
                            90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
                            06 Dean CFH x2
                            11 Dean Rebel Custom
                            06 Dean DOFlame
                            09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
                            Dean D100 Dime amp
                            Eleven Rack
                            79 Furman PQ6
                            Peavey 6505+