Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Issue with StrinTone/Pitch..

Hi,

Call me crazy....but I just noticed when fretting my E A D strings (it's not that noticeable on the rest of the strings) after the 12th fret, the strings vibrate funny...

This is the kind of sound each of those strings get when I fret them individually at any fret above the 12th.

Let's say you have your low E tuned to the right pitch, and you use that string to tune the A string, the 2 strings will vibrate out of wave until they reach the correct pitch. At that point you will hear the 2 strings as though they are one.

That sound you get from the 2 strings before they get to pitch, that out of pitch, vibration, phase, whatever you call it, it how my 1 string sounds...In other words it's not a constant pitch, it makes the sound like when your tuning 2 strings to pitch.

I hope I explained it right...but both my Dinky guitars that the same issue...more so on the guitar that's tuned a half step down...My cheap 1990 Charvette by Charvel does not have this issue..

Any thoughts?? Could this be intonation related? My pickup height seems fine...

dinkyguitar
    Last edited by dinkyguitar; 06-10-2011, 07:31 AM.

sounds like you're strings are hitting frets, raise the trem on the low E side

Edit: on the downtuned do (roughly) the same but if you perhaps haven't yet: change to thicker strings if you have to raise it too high (for comfort)
    Last edited by Nightbat; 06-10-2011, 10:36 AM.
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Thanks for the reply....

I'll raise the bridge up and see if that's the problem....

As for the thicker strings, what gauge do you recommend? I did have 10's at one point, but decided to switch them back....are 10's good enough for 1/2 step down, or will 11's be better?

Comment

It's all about personal preference (Tony Iommi in C with 8s as example)
        half a step should be alright with 10s
        though with a light 11s set you may retain the 'feel' of a standard tuned 10s
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
        X