Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Keeps Going Out Of Tune

Hi,

I have a Jackson RR24 with Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom (10's) Strings.

I have it tuned to Drop D and it seem's to be nicely alligned at the bridge.

However I put these strings on about 3 days ago and after about 10mins or play I have to start tuning them again, they dont go madly out of tune but still enough that you notice.

I also tried putting new locking nuts on the top (as my old ones threads wore away) but it doesnt seem to be stopping/locking the strings in place as if its not gripping the strings down to the fretboard. So whenver I whammy it goes even worse out of tune.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to check to make sure my guitar is set up correct so it stops going out of tune and how I can make the locking nuts stay on the strings enough to whammy and stay in tune??

Thanks,

Rowan

make sure the bridge isnt binding anywhere, check the springs in the back, make sure its not hanging up anywhere. if you replaced the lock nuts, then make sure the strings are clamped in good at the bridge, but dont over tighten them as that can damage the threads. just good and snug.

Only other thing I can recommend is, before you play, warm up the strings a bit. rub some fast fret on them with your hands or something just to warm them as that will get them to expand a bit, then tune. try these things and report back to us. maybe someone else here will have another idea too.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Hi thanks for the fast reply, sorry about this but can you explain a bit more what you mean by "bridge isnt binding" and "strings in the back hanging up anywhere".

Thanks

Comment

You gotta stretch those strings out! Ernie Ball strings are what I use and I find if I don't give each individual string a few good tugs before locking them down at the nut that they will most def. go flat.. Once they are stretched its rare I have to make any adjustments.

Comment

Thanks for the advice ill try stretching them out alot more and if it still does it ill get back in touch.

As for the locking nut and the strings not holding with them, is there a way I can alter it to make sure the thinner strings stay pushed down?

Comment

Also check to make sure the screws that hold the nut to the neck aren't loose.

Comment

Have you tried slacking the strings from the tuners on the headstock with the locking nut engaged? If the tone changes, then the locking nut isn't doing its job.

Comment

Yeh that was one of the first things I noticed, my 5th and 6th string (larger) seem to sort of stay in tune, but the other four (thinner) just go crazy when I whammy even once.

Comment

I'd say the 3rd and 4th strings were to blame, since that's where the set realyl changes from "light top" to "heavy bottom". The strings are so far apart in thickness that the lock isn't holding them tightly, thus causing everything else to go out.

Replace the tuners with locking models, or put the LTHB set on a non-trem guitar.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Which direction are the locking blocks on the nut facing? They kinda look like a house and the apex is supposed to be in line with the neck. Just making sure of the simplest thing first.
                    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Hi,

I tampered about with the ideas for a while now but still not luck, it doesnt matter which tuning its in, it always loses its grip.

Its as if the first two strings (thick) lock in fine, but the other 4 when its locked I can still de-tune and tune fine.

I will try buying a standard set of strings instead of STHB Ernie Balls.

Comment

if the strings are stretched, it shouldn't matter.
                        1) check to see if the bridge returns to zero. if not use chap sticks to lube the floyd posts and knife edge.
                        2) if the tones change after slacking the strings from the tuners on the headstock with the locking nut engaged, then it's the locknut caps that need to be changed. like warlok says, the caps must be in the right direction. click here http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/floyd-tremolo-tips.htm and scroll down to see the correct direction of the caps on the nut base. also, make sure the nut base plate has no string grooves. if there are, then the locknut unit must be changed. sometimes licensed locknut wear quicker due to the poor quality. there's no need to replace the tuners with locking tuners
                        3) really stretch the strings. i know you said you stretched them already, but wouldn't hurt to make sure they're well stretched.

Comment

Working...
                        X