Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson pickups freq range for low tunings

Hi all,

My 86 Soloist that has J-80C's and a JE-1200 sounds really agressive and has great tone.

I recently changed the strings out to 11-56 and retuned it (and intonated) it to B std tuning (baritone). Now it doesn't sound nearly as agressive and the tone isn't as pronounced.

Has anyone else come across this issue when using lower tuning with original Jackson pickups? I am assuming I am creeping under the freqency range of the pickup, or is it the freqency range of the JE-1200 I am escaping?

Can anyone recommend a pickup for working in B std tuning that will work with a JE-1200, or if the JE-1200 is the problem can anyone recommend a gain booster to use?

All passive pickups should work fine with the JE-1200, but keep in mind the JE-1200 frequencies that are boosted are designed around E-standard tuning. so the boost won't affect the lower tuned strings as much.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I wondered if it might be the JE-1200 that was outside range, does the JE-1000 or JE-1500 offer a lower frequency range? Or is there a modern equivalent on the market?

Comment

Anyone running a JE-1000 or 1500?

Comment

I came across a similar problem w/my Model 4. It kinda sounds shitty whole step down, in D.
          Two guitars are better than one.

Comment

I have a J80C and JE1200 in a Model 6, but I don't go below D# for tunings. Sorry.

Comment

Is there a tone issue with the JE-1200 midboost rolled completely off? It that case it would be virtually transparent as far as EQ goes and you can isolate the problem that way.

EDIT: I've got a J90C strat that can absolutely CHUNK OUT in drop D, for what it's worth.
              Last edited by Axewielder; 06-08-2011, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X