cleaning a charvel pro mod fingerboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning a charvel pro mod fingerboard

Whats the best way to clean the FB of the so cal pro mod?

Premium Zippo Lighter Fluid.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I got a reply from Charvel on this and they say to use "a little bit of gunstock oil.. but not too much" Which was confusing to me because I wouldn't think the oil wouldn't clean it but more "seal" it.

+1 on the Lighter fluid It got serious gunk of an Ebony board on a used guitar I purchased.

Comment

Yep, Naptha + Gunstock oil. Too much of it will gunk up around the frets, so just use a little, and wipe it off almost immediately.

Sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I am so glad to hear about the zippo LF cause thats what i was using and one guy said dont use it?

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
            Yep, Naptha + Gunstock oil. Too much of it will gunk up around the frets, so just use a little, and wipe it off almost immediately.

Sully
            Hey Sully.. never used the stuff (gunstock oil). Do you have to let it sit or is this something you could do and then slap some strings on and play away?? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by CHARVEL_strat_81 View Post
              I am so glad to hear about the zippo LF cause thats what i was using and one guy said dont use it?
              It's what the Gibson custom shop uses.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan_josh View Post
                Hey Sully.. never used the stuff (gunstock oil). Do you have to let it sit or is this something you could do and then slap some strings on and play away?? Thanks!
                For a fretboard, I'd wipe it on, and wipe the excess out right away. You'll probably need to buff it out a little (if you can still smell it, buff it) with a cloth. If you've used lemon oil before, it's the same kind of idea.

Sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I use the gunstock oil only for conditioning/cleaning unfinished maple necks. So I'd guess it works the same way for an unfinished rosewood fingerboard?

Would you first use the lighter fluid and then just add a little bit of the gunstock oil instead of the lemon oil?

Comment

yep.
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Good tip, thanks! I only tried lighterfluid once but it did a much better job at removing gunk than anything I'd ever tried before. I need to get myself some.

On rosewood I just would moisten each bits of fretboard with my breath and then use elbow grease... Takes ages. When the cloth I use stops being dirty, I know it's clean. Then it's a little bit of lemon oil, let it soak in and done.
                      On a particularly annoying neck I'd rub it all up and down with some 0000 steel wool; also does wonders. Then you need to polish the frets to eliminate the steel wool's marks.

Comment

Working...
                      X